Search

Installing on a life (static) site, I uploaded all, and changed the filename of index.php, so it would fallback to index.html of the esisting site.
The install seems to have worked, only after installing I get a server error askign me to contact the server admin.
Was this because index.php couldn’t be found?

Wouldn’t it be a good idea to make install possible from install.php, and only activate index.php after testing on temp_index.php or something?

The Symphony .htaccess file sets the DirectoryIndex rule as follows:

DirectoryIndex index.php

Simply add index.html to the end of this line as follows:

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html

Apache will look for index files in the order specified.

Why not make your old index.html the maintenance page?

@czheng - that’s a good suggestion. i actually did the exact same thing the other night where i had a static page, but need to dump symphony onto the server. Since nothing dynamic was linked up to that page, i just took the source, modified it to be a valid stylesheet, turned maintenance mode on and boom! instant success.

Why not make your old index.html the maintenance page?

In other words, swap index.php and index.html? The only thing I don’t like about maintenance mode is the fact that if you are updating Symphony and it breaks, so does the maintenance page. If I’m thinking correctly, this sounds like the solution?

@lewis, if you’re not linking anything dynamic to the maintenance page, what would possibly cause that page to break?