Search

As far as I know we’ve got kind of a strong german community here at symphony-cms. Thanks to nielshoermann we already have a german translation for symphony but not for it’s extensions. I just wanted to start a discussion on wether or not you support my idea or not and if you support it how you would do it. It’s not only about german here, maybe it becomes a general option to symphony.

Looking at Nils’ initial post it seems that extensions can support translation, and the German language pack supports the extensions that come bundled with the core (Debug, Profile, Select Box Link etc.).

Am I right in saying that so long as extensions use the __(...) function to write out strings, they are translation-ready?

Localisation Manager will automatically grab language strings for all extensions currently present in your extensions folder no matter if they are activated or not.

I presume this means that if an extension has its text written out using the __() function then when you come to create a new language file using the Localisation Manager extension, it will automatically find these and present them ready for translation?

Thanks to nielshoermann we already have a german translation for symphony but not for it’s extensions.

That’s not correct. As Nick said above localisation works for extensions, too, as long as the developer wraps all language strings with the __() function. Thanks to a class Marcin wrote earlier this year it’s possible to grab all strings from the core an the installed extensions (Localisation Manager makes use of this class). I included the core extensions in the default German language file, but not all extension make use of the translation function yet. I’ve send some pull request to Alistair to change this.

We started discussing localisation last year and Symphony is able to provide translations since then - that time not many people have been interested in the discussion. I think it would be great, if more languages could be contributed and if existing languages could be improved and extended to cover untranslated extensions.

Extension developers should do one simple thing – use the translation function:

echo __('This text can be translated.');
echo 'This text can not.';