Search

DOM is enabled but it appears to be the root of the problem. No warning or fatal error is displayed unless I delete everything after:

$symphony_feed = DOMDocument::load($page);
$symphony_tweets = $symphony_feed->getElementsByTagName("entry");

at which point it throws:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getElementsByTagName() on a non-object in path/to/test.php on line 16

I’m having trouble finding the exact problem. Any ideas?

http://nick-dunn.co.uk/article/archiving-xml-with-symphony/

You could try to load it “the normal way”:

$symphony_feed = new DOMDocument();
if($symphony_feed->load($page)) {
   $symphony_tweets = $symphony_feed->getElementsByTagName("entry");
}
else {
   die("Loading the XML file failed!");
}

Blank page even though I have display errors on…

I got it, will post solution this weekend.

Thanks Lewis. Sorry I didn’t get a chance to reply to this thread or tweet. Let me know and I’ll add it as an addendum on my blog post.

I have allow_url_fopen disabled for security which will cause DOMDocument::load() to fail. Must use CURL and DOMDocument::loadXML() instead. For example:

$ch = curl_init();
curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $page);
curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
curl_setopt ($ch, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT, 5);
$rsp = curl_exec($ch);
curl_close($ch);
$data = strstr($rsp, '<?');

// Get the most recent cached tweets from Symphony
$symphony_feed = DOMDocument::loadXML($data);

I still think this feature should be in the core. A CMS that speaks and thinks in XML should defenitely be able to understand and save foreign XML (and I don’t mean dynamic XML datasources).

@phoque: For sure. Some data-merge-y function would rock. Nick Dunn and I had been throwing that idea about for a while but nothing has come of it as yet.

I’ve played with Rowan’s Import Manager to change its workflow somewhat. The plan is for it to be a one-stop-shop for importing XML into Symphony: mapping an XML feed onto Symphony sections, sanitising content through custom functions, and an ability to set up a cron too.

Nick Dunn and I had been throwing that idea about for a while but nothing has come of it as yet.

Perhaps because I haven’t found time to be on IRC since before the summer: apologies. We should do it.

A (more or less) universal importer would be great, especially for “switchers”.

A (more or less) universal importer would be great, especially for “switchers”.

…and for Symphony old timers who are still managing sites running on version 1.7 and earlier. I’ve got sites I want to upgrade and I’d willingly pay for this functionality (or build it myself when I have time to figure it out - I was actually starting to see if I could figure it out over the weekend).