Search

I’m a newbie to the xslt/xml thing, I love the idea of being so flexible and the layout is quite minimalist. all perfect. I get to looking at these video clips on how to do things such as “create a simple products page” and they are all done in a much earlier version of symphony. in the video it works, and easily. in ver 2.06 errors, compile failures. no work, frustration sets in. I understand I’m new but this system can’t go too far if noobs have such a tough time with it. I love the idea but i’m going nowhere fast. please update the videos, or add some documents to help with this. I want it to work for me I really do.

Glad you’ve decided to give Symphony a try. We certainly understand your frustration, and it’s widely shared. But a new documentation system is in the works. In the meantime, this forum really is the best place to get help, so please do search and browse, and when you’re stuck, just ask for help. We’ll all do our best to help you get going :)

Thanks a lot. I’m making progress, and I’m enjoying the process. It’s just been tough with a lot of the documentation and videos that I’ve seen being for the 1.xx versions. As I’ve noticed a lot has changed in the layout / backend from 1.xx to 2.xx i.e. where things are located and how you attach utilities etc. I’m taking lots of notes and things are starting to come together. I’m hoping that a document for noobs could be created on how to create pages of varying types, step by step perhaps a 3 page site using the initial install (simple stuff) to help get people going. This would be a huge addition to the symphony project allowing people to get comfortable with it’s use. I’m pretty sure this would draw more people to the project and be a huge +. Thanks in advance for the help, I’m going to need it!

http://designprojectx.com has been extremely helpful for me as a relatively new Symphonian. And seriously this forum is very responsive and charitable.

i’ve been looking over the information at the designprojectx site. very helpful indeed.

@bgoez Make sure you tell @bauhouse! He’s helped a lot of us out.

As a fairly newbian to Symphony I can confirm to you bgoez that this forum rocks when it comes to getting answers or hints in the right direction!

There is no place better to voice a question or suggestions for improvements to the core/extensions.

Thanks guys.. I have been following the bauhouse pages and have been very impressed with the support of the forum. This topic basically started as a why no new or updated information on the 2.xx vs 1.xx versions. Drastic changes have been made yet *few tutorials on the 2.xx version have been made.Taking the time to update some existing tutorials might be a wise investment of time to help grow the project. I’m a big fan of the symphony project. I’d like to see it get bigger and more popular in the CMS world. I’m pleased as punch with what’s going on and how I’m learning. Just offering my 2 cents for the future.

Taking the time to update some existing tutorials might be a wise investment of time to help grow the project.

Agreed. That’s why we’re rewriting all of the documentation from top to bottom.

czheng, I have been reading the api rewriting thread and didn’t want this to mimic it. Are updated video tutorials planned as well? A well formed searchable api will be super helpful. I can’t wait! I’m aware that it’s a huge undertaking and appreciate all the effort from all contributors. perhaps a section “noob guide” demonstrating a simple site build would be an ideal add to the documentation. Also this forum has been great and very helpful, Thanks for all the help so far. hopefully I’ll be able to help out soon enough :-)

Yes, we’ve got a slate of screencasts planned, though they may not be ready right when the docs launch. Not entirely sure what you mean by “well-formed searchable api” but we are going to have a comprehensive reference for Symphony concepts, and developer APIs will be documented thoroughly (though these might be in a less-than-complete state at launch).

Please do continue to let us know what you’d find helpful, and we’ll do our best to get it to you.