Search

I know there are some of you that have had experience with installing s2 on a dv server with media temple. I tried doing that last week, but I keep on getting a permissions error in the symphony admin saying certain directories can't be written to.

however, when i change my permissions to 777, it works fine. but this is not an ideal setting. anyone know what to do to be able to have symphony write to the server without have my file permissions set to 777?

thanks

What is the ownership of the folder? you would need to set 0777 if PHP has no ownership, or is not apart of a group that has ownership. Have you tried 0775?

alistair, i'm not sure what you mean by ownership. you mean which user has ownership? yes, i have set everything to 0777 via ftp on the necessary folders and that works. but isn't that not the safest thing to do for folders on your server?

I believe what Alistair means is that PHP, when it's accessing files on your filesystem, has to be identifiable to the system as a user and member of a group. For many servers, for example, the group to which it belongs is 'www' and so PHP-created files will have a group ownership of 'www'. If your files' ownership on both a user and group level are 'yourname', and PHP doesn't belong to the group 'yourname' (which it wouldn't), then PHP won't have access to them.

czheng, i think that's the case right now. i have two users, that have access to different things. didn't you set up symphony on a (dv) server with mt?

Unfortunately, no. I'm just on (gs). Maybe post on MT's new user forum? I'm sure you'll find someone there to help you out.

czheng, how have your experiences with the (gs) on mt been so far? thinking about switching to a more reliable host.

Allen/team would you think GS would be sufficient to host RC1? If a virtual or dedicated is no option would you choose 'normal' shared over GS MT? GS might be not ideal for DB queries...

I'm not much of a 'power user' when it comes to hosting. I don't manage any high-traffic sites and I don't run performance tests or anything like that, so I can't really speak to how well the GS holds up in really demanding circumstances.

What I can say is that I myself have been pleased. Managing my sites has been very easy, I really appreciate the suite of tools and interfaces they offer, and I haven't experienced any outrageous downtimes and such... but I might not be the best person to ask :)

I'm having trouble installing s2 on mt Grid_Service because of the htaccess file required to use PHP 5.

Catch 22 - s2 will not install with this htaccess file there, s2 will not install without PHP 5 :(

(Ooer and I'm not noashager?! I'm spotthehall...)

Got around it by installing on a /test sub-folder then adding the root .htaccess file to the s .htaccess file and moving the installation back to the root - removing all reference to test from the .htaccess and manifest/config.php files.

I just put the PHP5 .htaccess folder one level up in my hierarchy and it worked. so if you have domains/sample.com/html, I put it in the sample.com folder.

I did a new install - worked a treat czheng - thanks :)

my issue with the gs service at mediatemple is their file pathway structure. I have another web host I am used to their simplicity. the whole 'html' folder system threw me for a loop. I don't use windows® so I am not used to root folders marked root or html or public vs private, blah, blah, blah, and I am puzzled as to why the standards have to be so different across platforms. web hosting can be made easier.

My other issue is with software developers who act unaware of the database mysql issue where almost every single read me file says keep 'local host' as if everyone is using their own computers as servers or are using some cheap hosting plans. Am I missing while the read me files are mostly written with keep 'local host' as the most likely solution?

Maybe I'm not being clear or maybe I am just venting over having had wasted time before over simple issues that must have come to the attention of developers before? Are most developers sadomasochists?

@Dante - for your "localhost" woes on the gs system, I know that you have to use some sort of special mysql url that is provided in (mt) admin. Not exactly where, but it's some really weird looking url.

currently, i'm on dreamhost and I've had an up and down experience with them for the past two years or so. They also require a url to connect to your mysql, but it is a user-defined one so it makes things somewhat easier.

wtdtan, thanks and I know about mysql server addresses/url from my other host. I found the external one (there's an internal and external address/url at mt.). What I don't get is why instructions for software always say you will probably be able to leave the default 'localhost' as is. I've never had that experience and the first few times I spent forever trying to figure out what the heck they were talking about.

Some software programmers will give clues as to what to look for if 'localhost' is not required (which it never has been in my experiences) so I don't know why progammers/developers do not have read me files that are clearer on this point.

Most every time I've helped somebody who was having an issue setting up a database on a web host it was with the server url field being set to 'localhost'.

go figure.

D.

I've had ixweb for ages and am unhappy in the extreme with my experiences after they set up their NEW servers. And the online help is almost useless. but, they do have a few really good products. My issue ia that with all the years I've been with them they should have better service as it is what I always expected.

Now mt seems to be okay. We'll see.

My biggest problem with mt is that they said they could give me static IP addresses and after I signed on and all they said I would have to get an ssl certificate in order to have a static IP. So many things are shared.

What I don't get is why instructions for software always say you will probably be able to leave the default 'localhost' as is.

It is very common for MySQL to be running on the same server as Apache.

I’m having trouble with this php 5 issue in GS. I’ve installed Symphony loads of time, but this time it’s just not playing.

I go into the Cpanel and change the php settings to 5, then in my ftp folder there is a .htaccess file, which I need to move to the parent folder.

Then when I install it says this:

Symphony was unable to connect to the specified database. You may need to modify host or port settings.

Now I am using the same information that I use on all my installations on this server (apart from the database name obviously).

I’ve flagged this on Twitter too, maybe someone can help me from there.

What version of Symphony are you installing?