Search

H.elp t.he access please... Has anyone else run into this type of behavior or know a way to beat it into submission?

I'm trying to install S2 on a subdomain within a Media Temple account. Prior to installing, the subdomain (i.e. name.domain.com) displays an 'Apache 2 Test Page'. After installation, the site displays an 'Apache 2 Test Page' :/

After having the server admin troubleshoot things from his end it looked like the Symphony .htaccess file may have been in conflict. When the .htaccess file is renamed the site stops displaying the test page and just displays an empty page (or rather nothing at all.)

Is there something I can / should edit within the .htaccess file to make it play nice with the server and still display the Symphony install correctly?

Thanks!

Some more info upon further inspection...

The first install was sans the default workspace. Upon trying to reinstall the default installation in both the subdomain and within a sub-directory on the main domain I receive this behavior -

• immediately following install I receive a 403 Forbidden error that I do not have permission to access the 'domain.com/symphony' directory.
  • upon deactivating Symphony's .htaccess file (in both install cases) the default installation index page shows up correctly but, of course, all of the other linked pages (i.e. archive, individual entry listing) are '404 Not Found'

Are there adjustments I can make to the Symphony .htaccess file to work properly in this environment? Or, conversely are there any special requests I need to make of the server admin in how the Apache virtual server is configured?

Thanks again.

The clueless details continue...

Upon some trial and error in commenting out lines within the Symphony .htaccess file I'm seeing the following behavior -

• commenting out any line, save "RewriteEngine on" does not affect the 403 error from appearing
  • commenting out "RewriteEngine on" lets the index page display the same as when the .htaccess file is take offline as a whole (page shows but all linked pages are 404 Not Found.)

I know next to nothing about .htaccess settings so I'm probably easily amused but it seems interesting that toggling the RewriteEngine rule off and on has an effect but removing any or all of the rules it is applying does not.

Does this behavior have anything to do with the mod_rewrite settings or ability of the server?

Does this behavior have anything to do with the mod_rewrite settings or ability of the server?

Sounds like it, although I am unsure specifically what. A 403 is a forbidden error page. The Symphony rewrite rules aren't that complex and rely on just the basics.

So just to clarify, if your .htaccess has nothing in it except for RewriteEngine on, you are unable to reach any page? Or is it just the /symphony folder?

Thanks Alistair. I've asked the server admin to double-check the mod_rewrite abilities and settings but supposedly this was supposed to be okay at the outset.

So just to clarify, if your .htaccess has nothing in it except for RewriteEngine on, you are unable to reach any page? Or is it just the /symphony folder?

Yep. If the RewriteEngine on rule is present all pages are unreachable. They either return a 403 error or in then case of the subdomain index page (as of now) return the 'Apache 2 Test Page'.

I'd be happy to make the obligatory offering to the server Gods if I just knew what kind of over caffeinated soda they liked ;)

Well, for posterity's sake, here's what seemed to fix it in this case:

Apparently on these servers (Media Temple dv, I think), you need to enable sym link in the htaccess when using mod_rewrite.

So adding 'Options +FollowSymlinks' after 'RewriteEngine on' within the htaccess file has let peace and kindness flow across the land once again.

FYI: This also fixed the same issue with my local install on my Mac.

So adding ‘Options +FollowSymlinks’ after ‘RewriteEngine on’

I’ve had to do that quite often too when using mod_rewrite. I’ve added it to the Bugtracker.