Search

A new extension, “SymQL” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

I guess I should finally try this out, huh?

This ought to be rather useful. Cheers Nick.

Excellent! Really useful extension.

Thanks, Nick. I just happened to be taking a look at trying out the EventEx extension. One of the dependencies is the DatabaseManipulator extension. Now that you have released SymQL as a full replacement for the DatabaseManipulator extension, does that mean that EventEx should use SymQL?

Perhaps someday. But DatabaseManipulator offers a deleteEntries entries method that SymQL doesn’t, which is all it is used for in EventEx. At the moment SymQL is for SELECT style queries only.

Ah, I see. Thanks, Nick.

Wicked! Cheers Nick.

Can’t wait to try it out, but too bad it will not work on Symphony 2.0.6.

Is there any chance you can fabricate an example in which you show how to generate search results based on relevancy of matches across fields (columns) from different sections (tables)?

Is there any chance you can fabricate an example in which you show how to generate search results based on relevancy of matches across fields (columns) from different sections (tables)?

Nope, SymQL won’t solve this. It does not support relevancy, and does not join multiple sections together. It’s purely for getting data out of a single section. It’s basically a simpler way than writing SQL inside Data Source.

If you want cross-section searching, and relevancy ordering, then you’re going to need to write either a full-featured search extension or some SQL specific to your setup :-/

:’(

I started looking into a full-featured search extension but I have to brush up my PHP/SQL skills a few notches to get anything done…

I just used this extension for the first time: this is fan-tas-tic!

Easy syntax, easy to understand, so usable!
Thanks a lot, Nick!

i made a small extension to symql which allows to encode the result of the query in html. there is a new method encode() in class.symqlquery.php which allows to use the encode parameter in appendFormattedElement().

Attachments:
symql-patch.diff

I think it would be great if SymQL could be integrated into Symphony 2.1. I’m using this extension on all my sites as it offers a readable alternative to the core entry manager. Building this into the core and using it for things like data sources and events would make customisations much easier for non-programmers.

Thanks heiko, I’ll get this into the next release.

Nils, I’m not convinced just yet. SymQL is an abstraction on top of EntryManager and while it’s user friendly, it is something of a hack acting as a layer on top of something that isn’t up to the usual quality we expect. I think efforts would be best applied to creating an efficient, obvious and friendly API (EntryManager) from the ground up.

I think efforts would be best applied to creating an efficient, obvious and friendly API (EntryManager) from the ground up.

Sure, that’s right. I just have to say that working with SymQL is easy and you still understand what your code does when you have to edit it months later. The Entry Manager completely fails here.

Furthermore I like name and syntax of SymQL :)

Out of curiosity, are there plans to include update and delete syntax in here?

Those that are interested in SymQL might be interested in Rowan/Brendan’s SymQuery, which is based on SymQL: http://github.com/rowan-lewis/symquery/tree/unstable

They both need a bit of love, but SymQuery is a big improvement over my SymSQL both in code quality and features… the fact it comprises SymRead and SymWrite!