Search

A new extension, “Dummy Image Generator” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

This is something simple but useful (I think) that I stumbled across this afternoon and wrapped in a symphony extension.

It is ripe for some improvements such as caching of the generated images and customisation of colours via extra URL params, and I will add these things when I get the chance.

Point of interest - I looked at the JIT image manipulation extension and this modified the htaccess file which is not something I was comfortable with, so I have taken the route of picking apart the URL when the page resolved delegate is called.

I would be interested to know if anyone thinks this is the right/wrong angle to take. My instinct was to not fiddle with htaccess, as this is a relatively low level job and site admins will want to control it themselves.

By the way, if anyone would care to test this in older versions of symphony, that would be great!! It’s very non-intrusive in that it installs in an extension subdirectory as standard, but it doesn’t add anything to the DB nor does it alter any other files.

In other words, I believe it should cause no ill effect of any kind, it may simply not work if the delegates are not the same on older symphony versions.

It's working in S2.06 on XAMPP, XP! Nice extension. Do you think there could be a way to replace the generated text with a text field entry? Actually I'm not sure if I would be able to have the text field entry in the image url.

I should be able to get this working, I added this line to represent the entry from a text field

$y = $slices[5];

and then amended the text output to this crude looking thing

$text = $y. $width." X ".$height; 

Obviously it seems to work as long as I have

dummyimage/200x300/background_colour/text_colour/text-field-entry

I did the front-end test in firebug, just need to add the XSLT.

UPDATE: Working perfectly with XSLT, the image displays just the text box entry. Thanks for the extension, this will save me a few precious hours a month.