Search

I am having some problems installing Symphony 2.0.6 on my web host 34sp.com , the install.php runs without returning any error messages. Looking at the install log is looks like there is a problem setting permissions to the manifest folder created during the installation process. I have tried setting all files and folders to 777 but my install again fails.

My installation log:

============================================

INSTALLATION PROCESS STARTED (2010-02-18T10:05:51+00:00)

2010/02/18 10:05:51 > NOTICE: MYSQL: Establishing Connection…Done 2010/02/18 10:05:51 > NOTICE: MYSQL: Selecting Database ‘XXXXXXXXXXXX’…Done 2010/02/18 10:05:51 > NOTICE: MYSQL: Importing Table Schema…Done 2010/02/18 10:05:52 > NOTICE: MYSQL: Creating Default Author…Done 2010/02/18 10:05:52 > NOTICE: WRITING: Creating ‘manifest’ folder (/manifest) 2010/02/18 10:05:52 > NOTICE: WRITING: Creating ‘logs’ folder (/manifest/logs) 2010/02/18 10:05:52 > NOTICE: WRITING: Creating ‘cache’ folder (/manifest/cache) 2010/02/18 10:05:52 > NOTICE: WRITING: Creating ‘tmp’ folder (/manifest/tmp) 2010/02/18 10:05:52 > NOTICE: WRITING: Configuration File 2010/02/18 10:05:52 > ERROR: ERROR: Writing Configuration File Failed 2010/02/18 10:05:52 > ERROR: Could not write config file. Check permission on /manifest.

Has anyone else experienced this problem please help this is my last obstacle to using Symphony on a regular basis.

Thanks,

Andy

Could this be a SafeMode issue - does Symphony require PHP SafeMode to be off?

I think it probably does. Could it also be that your PHP/Apache user (that the install script is running under) doesn’t have write permissions?

My local version running under xampp has SafeMode OFF, pretty sure I have write access from other projects I have built.

Looking at my hosts I can install phpcgi with SafeMode OFF however this requires a htaccess file - my understanding is that Symphony generates its own htaccess file as part of the insallation process, so I guess this will not help.

Looking at my hosts I can install phpcgi with SafeMode OFF however this requires a htaccess file - my understanding is that Symphony generates its own htaccess file as part of the insallation process, so I guess this will not help.

You can try to install Symphony in a subdirectory. This way you can set SafeMode to OFF with .htaccess in the parent directory. You just have to edit Symphonys .htacces (the RewriteBase /-part) when you want to move the installation to your root folder.

Thank you klaftertief

I followed your advice installed PHPFCGI to my root directory then installed Symphony to a sub directly successfully. It was then just a case of copying the files into the root folder and amending my .htaccess file to include the PHPFCGI switch (not sure if this required seems to work without) and also RewriteBase.

All seems to be working fine now,

Thanks again

…and amending my .htaccess file to include the PHPFCGI switch…

…forgot this part. Glad I could help, I had to do the same today.