Search

Hi,

I have a client with a Windows App that he wants to move to the Web, so I’m going to start a simple version as a training exercise in Symphony.

I want to use some of the data that all ready exists, so do I just move the existing data tables into the Database, or do I let Symphony create these as I go and then import the data.

Just not sure which way to proceed.

Can your Windows app, by any chance, output its data as XML?

At the moment it’s in a proprietary database , I can export the fields as CSV etc.

I could then convert that to XML, would XML be the easiest route to take?

Well, Symphony follows a very particular DB scheme, so you wouldn’t be able to simply pull in your tables and go. But there is an XML Importer extension, and so if you can get your data into XML format, that might make things a whole lot easier for you.

Thanks, I’ll have a look at the XML Importer.

There have been seceral discussions about importing data in the past. So you might find some more information if you search the forum.

There’s also a great article by Nick Dunn. (He tells you how to import data using a hand-made PHP script. This may be useful especially if you want to use cronjobs.)

Thanks Michael, the link to Nick Dunn’s article was great.

You are welcome.

BTW: Nick’s nickname is “consider things dunn”. You may also find him requesting http://jobdunn.co.uk.