Search

I could really use a workflow flowchart, that demonstrates the steps required to do something like create a simple blog or something.

Something that teaches the new people what steps to take to get stuff from the admin interface into a template.

Maybe something like this already exists, but I am not finding it.

Help?

Doesn’t exist, in part because there isn’t one way. You’re best bet at this point is to follow the beginner’s tutorials. They should teach you what you need to know.

You don’t even need a flowchart if you remember those basic steps:

1. create a (content) section with fields;
  2. fill in some content (in the backend);
  3. create a datasource to pull your content from the database;
  4. attach the datasource to a page;
  5. use debug mode (append ?debug to the URL) to see if your content is actually included in your page XML;
  6. write some XSLT in your page template to transform your XML (to XHTML, in most cases);
  7. if your HTML (page) output is OK, style it using CSS;
  8. dance;

I have found that following these steps (without omitting any step) is the fastest way to build websites with Symphony. (You are essentially climbing the Blueprints menu from bottom to top.)

If you are a beginner, you should first take a look at the default workspace (which is a blog). When I built my first websites with Symphony, I always had a (local) default installation to copy from!

Will there be lot’s of dancing in London? I always forget that step.

Thanks Michael. That list is really helpful, in fact.

Nils might remember me from Textpattern-land, where I feel I’m pretty advanced. So advanced I’m pretty much outgrowing its capabilities, which is what brought me to Symphony, and I’m pretty excited about it.

I just needed a simple list (or flowchart) of what it takes to get content from the admin interface (or any DS, I guess) to a web page.