Search

A new extension, “Dump DB” is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the issue tracker.

This extension will help you dump your complete Symphony CMS database into a file. It might come in handy when you start developing the same site on several machines or in collaboration with others.

Simply commit the generated file with the rest of your code and tell your collegues to import it into their database every time it updates.

99% of the code is taken from Alistairs Export Ensemble extension.

The difference between Dump DB and Export Ensemble is that Export Ensemble doesn’t dump all your tables but only the ones it knows about (default-fields and -data). Dump DB however dumps everything as long as it has the table prefix you chose on installation.

I must admit I haven’t yet tried “simply importing it into my database” but the export itself works flawlessly. ;-)

hm… so this could help when using the method of manually creating ensembles? without zip?

Thanks for this – I’ve been doing the same thing using phpMyAdmin for a while. I’ll give it a try.

hm… so this could help when using the method of manually creating ensembles? without zip?

Technically, the article you were referring to wasn’t about creating an ensemble but copying your Symphony copy. I am hoping this will help in exactly this case.

Dump DB updated to version 1.01 on 13th of March 2010

The data of tables sym_cache and sym_sessions won’t be dumped anymore, only their structure.

Dump DB updated to version 1.02 on 15th of March 2010

As it’s meant to be sent with the rest of the code anyway, the database is now being saved in /workspace/dump.sql instead of offering it for download.

Dump DB updated to version 1.03 on 22nd of August 2010

The filename of the dump will now contain a random string to make guessing the name, accessing the file and effectively reading the whoe database a lot harder.

Very cool. Just earlier today I was thinking I could really use an extension like this. Hadn’t realized you’d already built it.

One question. Sometimes it makes sense to exclude the sym_authors and sym_forgotpass tables if you’re working across multiple local installs that don’t share the same author setup. Is that just an edge case, or would it be worthwhile to provide that option?

I’ve added your requested feature to the integration branch. I am still wondering though how often this happens exactly. :-)

Thanks! The community will have to answer the question of whether this is an edge case or not.

Dump DB updated to version 1.04 on 23rd of September 2010

Merged Craig’s request for a checkbox to ignore author-data into master. Added new config-parameters path and format to allow saving the file somewhere outside the publicly accessible dir and giving it a custom name or appending a timestamp.

@phoque thanks.

I too have been simply exporting and importing my complete Symphony database with phpMyAdmin. I like the idea of doing this through an extension, and excluding the tables mentioned, though.

Ideally I would be able to drop the old db and import the dump.sql from within Symphony but I realize that’s quite a ‘sensitive’ operation ;)

Ideally I would be able to drop the old db and import the dump.sql from within Symphony but I realize that’s quite a ‘sensitive’ operation ;)

I’ve been thinking about that too but it will require a way of saving the database before the import without creating a messy bunch of additional dump files…

I would think ‘saving the database before the import’ is not the issue (there’s a neat Extension for that ;-P ).

Having an incremental (date-stamped) dump file (say current previous and archived) would be sufficient, I guess.

The main technical challenge would be a proper rollback methinks.

Dump DB updated to version 1.05 on 26th of October 2010

New function to restore the database from a dump.

Just note that this feature should never be used in a production environment. Also, it has to be enabled manually in the config (see readme).

Oooh! That sounds very cool, phoque.

Nice one phoque. Now I really have to stop reading this extension name as dumb DB

dumb DB

:-)

Dump DB updated to version 1.06 on 6th of December 2010

I realized that most of the time I don’t need to save the author-data along with the section/entry data. This however posed a new problem when I tried to install the project on a new machine as all the .sql-files were incomplete, all the authors were completely missing from the most recent files.

Although possible, going back through the Git history and switching to a revision that had the data became annoying quite fast so I decided to rewrite the extension to save authors and data into two different files.