Search

Just recently a I finished a website using Symphony and I’ve liked it so much I wanted to start an implementation on my personal hobby website. The problem I’m having is that I’ve set up a few subdomains previously and when I installed Symphony it started interfering with them - getting redirect loops when I try to access them.

I’m guessing that my problems stem from not completely understanding how Symphony works. I’d like to be able to install Symphony on my root directory and leave the functionality of the subdomains as they are now; what might I do?

Symphony shouldn’t interfere with your subdomains. Indeed it shouldn’t redirect to a special domain at all. Can you post your .htaccess file(s)?

What are your subdomains for? Are they pointing to subfolders or to the root of your website?

Hi Dave, I’d guess it had something to do with your .htaccess files. The Symphony one may be overriding other folders if those subfolders don’t have an .htaccess of their own. You may need to add a simple one like this to those subdomain folders:

(Basically just create a text file and name it .htaccess and put this stuff in there)

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php

Obviously, you can change the order or put different extensions in there as needed. It’s basically telling the server which file to open first.

How are your subdomains implemented? If you have created them purely in .htaccess rather than creating VirtualHosts etc., then you’ll need to merge your existing .htaccess with Symphony’s.

It sounded like I need to know more about how .htaccess works. The .htaccess in one of the wiki folders was blank, and I made it un-blank with a simple “DirectoryIndex index.html”. I also took the time to read some .htaccess tutorials. Thanks, guys.