Search

I already installed Symphony, now i need to install Forum and Spectrum Members. How can i do that?

Thank you.

The Forum and Spectrum Members ensembles can be installed in the same way that you install the official Symphony download, except that these ensembles are running Symphony 2.0.6.

If your question is, “How do I add the functionality from the Forum and Spectrum Members ensembles to my existing Symphony install,” then the answer is not as straight forward. It will take a little more work to add the necessary sections, pages, data sources, events and utilities. You’ll want to copy the same templates and data structure from the ensembles to your existing install.

Thank you @bauhouse.

So, all ensembles must be installed after i install Symphony (properly version which agreed to that ensemles) or instead of official Symphony? Sorry, but can’t understand clearly.

A lot of people have this misunderstanding. An ensemble is a fully working Symphony site. It is Symphony, pre-installed with sections, fields, data sources and frontend pages (and their CSS etc.). You install them from scratch, so you don’t need Symphony installed already.

To put it another way: you could build your own Symphony site, export it as an ensemble, then give it to a friend to install on their server, and they’d have a working copy of your site.

thx @nickdunn! It's clear and it's right.

Thank you very much.

no one updates ensembles, and no one makes new, which is sad. :(

This is an old thread, however, I'm dealing right now with the installation of an ensemble exported from a live previous project of mine.

@nickdunn says is the same as any Symphony installation, however when I try to access the installation all I see is a screen asking me for a config.php file. Am I missing something? I will go ahead and create a config file manually or by copying an existing one, but I'm unsure if this is the right way to go. Will this also include all the database records?

I'm not sure haven't used an ensemble in years, usually if it's asking for a config it must think symphony is already installed, which is strange. Maybe the install directory is missing?

I am sorry for the newbie question. But how do you install an ensemble I have created from an existing site? I created the ensemble which produced a .zip file containing .zip.cpgz file.

I am sorry for the newbie question. But how do you install an ensemble I have created from an existing site? I created the ensemble which produced a .zip file containing .zip.cpgz file.

@dreadstar42 - What version of Symphony CMS are you running? Also, what version of the Export Ensemble extension are your running?

The steps you have to do to work with an ensemble are the following:

• important is that the original install directory exist
  • go to preferences and click save install files
  • click download zip
  • extract zip, it will contains the same files and directories as a normal install but with all your extensions, your workspace etc.
  • upload to the new destination and install the normal way

I am using Symphony 2.2.3.

I dont have my original install folder... at time of install it seemed like a security risk

How would I migrate to a new server?

@dreadstar42, hopefully this helps you. Please answer the questions below...

Currently, where are you hosting your site?

Do you have access to your MySQL server where Symphony is installed? If so, do an entire MySQL dump; so if you are using phpMyAdmin, you will want to export the database.

And then you will want to access your favorite FTP client and download all the files for your Symphony site from the server to your local machine.

Exactly what kind of OS are you running on your computer? Mac OS, Windows, Linux? What version of that OS?

Do you have a local webserver running on your computer?

Since you currently using Symphony 2.2.3, what extensions do you have installed with your install of Symphony? Could you list those out?

The reason I ask about that, is that you will need to upgrade your version of Symphony at least to Symphony 2.3.6. But, you will ultimately want to update the latest (as of this post) Symphony 2.6.3, that way you are current.

Once you get your files on your machine, it's easy to migrate over to another server.

If you haven't access to your MySQL server you can get the install folder through github. For example here: https://github.com/symphonycms/symphony-2/tree/2.3RC4.