Search

I've got a blog section with a select box for categories. I want to have a DS that gets all current values. How (if) is that done?

It's not possible currently, but we're planning to build this ability into RC1. There are two not-very-good workarounds which might work for you in the meantime:

1. Create a section for each category and use a section link field instead of your select box.
  2. Make a DS that fetches all blog entries and use param output for the select box field. This DS doesn't need to include any XML elements, but you'll need to use some string-parsing XSLT on the ds-param to get your list of categories.

Thanks. I was afraid I was missing something obvious.

Is this possible in the stable release?

Well, what is the problem? If the parameter-output in DS isn't enough, it is possible write a global variable to use as $param in DS. My projects use this trick (even if, this is not a pure trick).

Now, in next Symphony-releases, a developer needs more parameter-output than only one! Or not?

I believe that in future releases DS parameter output will be deprecated.

I believe that in future releases DS parameter output will be deprecated.

I wouldn't worry too much about this because it is unlikely it will be deprecated in Symphony 2 and Symphony 3 will most likely be incompatible with Symphony 2. This is just an assumption, of course.

Symphony 3 will be incompatible with Symphony 2.

You shouldn't worry too much about this as Lewis mentioned since Symphony 2 will still be supported for a good while after Symphony 3 is released.