Search

This is a simple extension, I’m afraid it would be handy just in simple situations.

I’d love to hear concrete proposals and see what we can do to improve images management in symphony. That is, I’m not really sure to understand what you’re asking @designermonkey, maybe it’s just a metter of tweaking a bit the extension you mentioned.

@carsten
I forgat about the googles great search api for picasaweb, erasing the need for tag fields in my database. Also you can request a list of all keywords, you can have 10-thousand albums, and their servers are really fast, so…
I would think that -despite its ‘hacking’ or mashup feel - using picasaweb for large and high scale projects would make sense. As an added bonus I suspect they also offer free CDN

The link to the TOS you supply however is for the picasa application. I found picasaweb may be used commercially

Unlike Flickr, they clearly state that its only for personal use, meaning you cannot upload ea: pics shooted by a professional photographer for your ecommerce catalog, but only pics you shot, ea of the photographer in action.

@designermonkey Yes great to work with meta, i have even worked purely with picasa for meta and for descriptions of pics or projects (max 1000 characters) from their database. Then you could use a picasaweb upload manager for lightroom. Or use picasa app from google which has -great- a button to resync albums with the web.

@alpacaaa yes its a great extension, my questions were just a bit off topic, about choosing to work with your extension or to work with external datasources and images supplied by the servers of picasa google. Because these 2 solutions are very similar.

Image Information updated to version 0.1 on 9th of February 2011

I just moved hosts and can't get exif to work properly as it was before.

New host php 5.3.x

Old host php 5.2.x

Both symphony 2.3

The problem is that when I enter the URL for Image Info in the browser I see the correct exif data on both versions, but when trying to use the extension in my Symphony pages in the new server, instead of the exif data it is reporting:

Status code 0 was returned. Content-type:

I'm not sure what this means and whether it's related to the different PHP versions.

Just to reconfirm, entering the URL directly in the browser seems to return identical exif data so that seems to work OK.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your new host might be missing the exif extension. Run a phpinfo() on both and search the page for exif. I think PHP needs to be compiled with --enable-exif for this to be available.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for helping but exif is definitely running, as it does show up in phpinfo which I checked first and also when I enter the Dynamic XML URL directly into the browser I can see the exif data looking just as it should in the browser.

The error code only appears within my Symphony page and no exif data.

Maybe there's something going wrong with the new Dynamic XML Datasource, I'll try to reproduce the issue and see what's happening.

I was just thinking maybe I was looking in the wrong place as or should have made a new thread about Dynamic Data Source.

Just started with 2.3 so am a little lost. alpacaa and fellow Symphonists I really appreciate all your help.

Seems to work fine for me in localhost, Wamp, Sym 2.3, PHP 5.3.x

Something to do with the webserver hosting then? I'll go and look for some error logs.

Would you mind doing a quick test? Open service.php and find line 32. Change the following code:

$xml->setIncludeHeader();

echo $xml->generate();

with this:

$xml->setIncludeHeader(true);

header('Content-type: text/xml');
    echo $xml->generate();

Delete your dynamic datasource, create a new one and test again.

Ok, tried that and still getting this error in ?debug

Status code 0 was returned. Content-type:

However, when entering the Image Information URL directly in the browser the resulting XML has become formatted (without doing view source)

Sounds like a server issue, if you'd like me to debug (I should have some spare time this evening) feel free to drop an email at the address you find on my github page.

I am able to create a different Dynamic XML datasource pulling data from another symphony domain and it works on the web server so it looks like datasource works and the host works OK.

Carrying on looking...

Is the other domain on the same webserver with the same php configuration and same Symphony version?

The other domain is on my old hosting(different company and server), I can't seem to Dynamic XML anything on my new hosting.

I've taken you up on your kind offer and sent an email.

Thanks again.

This problem seems to be in hosting were a script can't call its own domain as the hosting company has blocked such actions with their firewall.

So that means you can't put access the URL that you'd put into the dynamic datasource.

I haven't tried yet, but possible workarounds would seem to be to call the dynamic data from an absolute server path (home/whatever.com/public_html/... as opposed to http://whatever.com/...)

This doesn't seem to be supported by the core gateway script which I think wants to parse a URL.

Alternatively, customise a static datasource in the fashion of reading a local file, I think filegetcontents() might work for paths or URIs.

I add this as it may be of help to anyone reading this in the future.

Big thanks to alpacaaa for finding the root of the problem :)