Search

I’ve managed to get Symphony 2.0.7 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 with IIS 7.

I just wondered if there are any nasty gotchas waiting for me, beyond the PHP config, URL rewriting and permissions problems that I’ve already dealt with. I’m just concerned that something might crop up later in development.

Anyone with any experience running Symphony on Windows+IIS have any insights?

Thanks Neil

Have fun with that. I develop in Windows on Xampp and have been pretty frustrated recently with the large amount of development time lost to Symphony’s official LAMP only focus.

My experience has been that with the official LAMP only focus, updates can range between small nuclear implosions to quite marvelous additions to your productivity as a developer.

Overall, I’m still convinced Symphony’s the best CMS out there OpenSource or otherwise. So the headaches are worth it.

Let us know how it goes.

I develop in Windows on Xampp and have been pretty frustrated recently with the large amount of development time lost to Symphony’s official LAMP only focus.

I do the same and it’s running smoothly. What problems did you face?

@phoque Generally, Symphony does run smoothly in Xampp. I’ve had consistent problems in running the variety of 2.0.7 editions that have come out. Recently, we were able to resolve some of our issues with this solution. This is relatively minor, but one has to remember to re-fix it when one updates. The issue isn’t the difficulty of fixing htaccess files here, but the time it takes to track down the changes you made that need to be remade upon updating. So this part, if not all of it, is on me given the LAMP focus for Symphony.

I’m still trying to figure out what exactly happened Monday when we updated before I can answer specifically about the current issues. Right now I’m working through this error:

implode() [function.implode]: Invalid arguments passed
C:xampphtdocspcpc.orgsymphony-2extensionsselectbox_link_fieldfieldsfield.selectbox_link.php line 364

359         $fields = array();
360         $fields['field_id'] = $id;
361         if($this->get('related_field_id') != '') $fields['related_field_id'] = $this->get('related_field_id');
362         $fields['allow_multiple_selection'] = ($this->get('allow_multiple_selection') ? $this->get('allow_multiple_selection') : 'no');
363         $fields['limit'] = max(1, (int)$this->get('limit'));
364         $fields['related_field_id'] = implode(',', $this->get('related_field_id'));
366         $this->Database->query("DELETE FROM `sym_fields_".$this->handle()."` WHERE `field_id` = '$id'");
368         if(!$this->Database->insert($fields, 'sym_fields_' . $this->handle())) return false;

Again, some of the steam here is that I’ve lost a week of production and am not sure what happened other than we updated and the depth of my understanding of the inner-workings of Symphony is increasingly evidenced to be relatively myopic - and that is also, on me.

Got that one fixed and now I cant create a new record:

Symphony Fatal Database Error

Column 'relation_id' cannot be null

An error occurred while attempting to execute the following query

* INSERT INTO `pca_entries_data_87` (`entry_id`, `relation_id`) VALUES ('269', NULL)

That error looks familiar. See if this thread gets you heading in the right direction.

Is this field a Select Box Link field? If you are using Nick’s Entity Diagram extension, it’s pretty easy to find out how each table maps to individual fields. What worked for me was updating the Select Box Link extension to the latest version.

Thanks for the comments. I realise the LAMP focus of Symphony presents some problems when looking to run it on something different.

@wjnielsen I take your point but my main concern is not Windows, as I’ve had no issues running Xampp or just a WAMP setup. This is Windows using IIS as the web server, which is about as far from official support as it gets.

I respect the open source nature of Symphony and LAMP makes complete sense in that context. However, sometimes a client wants what they want and in those situations I’d like to feel confident in recommending Symphony.

Perhaps we could start a matrix of tested platforms, giving some insight into the server configurations that people are successfully running Symphony on?

Just a thought.

Given the small contingent who actually develop Symphony, and the cost barrier that Windows introduces, nevermind the actual differences in certain PHP functions when run on Windows, I very much doubt that support for Windows/IIS will ever be apparent.

It’s very much at your own risk.