Search

Hello

Having some trouble installing Symphony on my webhost which is quite irritating since I already finished my site on localhost. All I need to do is upload it! But no joy…

While running install.php it complains about the old .htaccess file so I rename that. But when I press install I get an Internal server error and no new .htaccess is created. The rest of the install seems to go fine since database is created and all.

I can access the frontend but when I try /symphony/ I get an 403. If I copy .htaccess from my local install I get Internal server error again.

Have you checked the permissions on the server of your folders?

Does the server have mod_rewrite enabled?

Permissions is all 755. That’s what it’s supposed to be, right?

mod_rewrite is enabled.

I tried copying this into .htaccess from my local install

### Symphony 2.0.x ###
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /symphony/

### DO NOT APPLY RULES WHEN REQUESTING "favicon.ico"
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} favicon.ico [NC]
    RewriteRule .* - [S=14] 

### IMAGE RULES 
    RewriteRule ^image/(.+.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp))$ ./extensions/jit_image_manipulation/lib/image.php?param=$1 [L,NC]

### ADMIN REWRITE
    RewriteRule ^symphony/?$ ./index.php?mode=administration&%{QUERY_STRING} [NC,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f 
    RewriteRule ^symphony(/(.*/?))?$ ./index.php?symphony-page=$1&mode=administration&%{QUERY_STRING} [NC,L]

### FRONTEND REWRITE - Will ignore files and folders
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteRule ^(.*/?)$ ./index.php?symphony-page=$1&%{QUERY_STRING}  [L]

</IfModule>
######

775 permissions will not work on a standard webhosting environment. You will probably need 777 on the root folder (during installation, may be reverted later) and 777 on the workspace folder (recursive). This has to do with PHP having a different owner and group than your FTP account.

The install process can not write the .htaccess file if the permissions on the root folder are not 777.

If you want to copy it manually, watch for this line:

RewriteBase /symphony/

This tells me that your development version was in a subfolder called “symphony”. You have to change this if you have Symphony in the web root on the live server:

RewriteBase /

(Or out the name of the new subfolder…)

P.S.: It is not recommended to create the .htaccess by FTP. You might have to grant 777 permissions to the file so Symphony can write to it later (to perform an update, for example). So it’s much better to let Symphony (i.e. the PHP user) create the file.

Hooray!

Changed to RewriteBase / an it works now!

Thanks for all the help!

You are welcome!