Search

After a new installation from github Symphony is apparently not treating me as the owner of the site. In order to make changes to Pages, DSes, etc. I have to set workspace permissions to 777, even though I changed ownership of all the directories and files from www-data to me. On my original installation (from a zip file) this was not a problem. What am I doing wrong?

PHP needs write access to the workspace in order to be able to edit files in Symphony’s back end. If you own the folder exclusively, then PHP likely cannot write to it. Where is this hosted?

It is hosted on my computer on localhost. To clarify the above, it wants world write permission regardless if the owner is www-data or me.

A related problem is that if www-data is the owner I have to sudo up to root access to edit the files myself. This is inconvenient.

I know it’s probably something I’m missing in the installation because this didn’t happen when I installed 2.0.6.

I vaguely remember that with a Git install I had something like 700 permissions on Symphony’s root folder. But at the moment I don’t find the time to verify this. I think I simply set up the correct permissions (777 upon installation, something like 755 afterwards).

I’m talking about beyond installation. The back-end is requiring the workspace to be 777 before it will let me make a change. 775 won’t work so it looks like an ownership issue if it is requiring world access.

More specifically, it is just the workspace/data-sources directory and files that have to be 777.

I’ve found a solution that works for me. I set the owner to www-data and the permissions to 755 and it works. Custom DS files are the only ones I will need to edit outside the back-end, and I can set me as the owner of them.

Apparently an earlier statement of mine about www-data is wrong.

Welcome to -NIX operating systems… :-)