Search

Hi everyone, This is my first post here. I’ve designed one site that’s live and working well with Symphony, but still consider myself pretty new to it. I’ve run into a strange problem though when trying to change the name of a section from the back end. Here’s a link to the saved error results.

So far, this has only happened when trying to change section names. I’ve found other mentions of the error in the forums, but mostly due to upgrade issues or adding users, nothing when changing section names.

I first received the error when trying to change the name of a section that already had a number of entries, and thought that might be the issue. After generating a new, empty section though, I tried to change its name and got the same result. Everything else about my site is running fine, so this isn’t terribly pressing, though I’d like to be able to change section names if I need to. Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Also, I believe I’m running 2.07, but I can’t find my version info anywhere in my installation. If someone would provide info on how to do that, I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Welcome Nils!

To get the version number, you can go into /manifest/config.php, and it will be under the section commented as ‘SYMPHONY’.

Someone else will be more familiar, but it looks odd to me that the query still has the PHP concat ‘.’ syntax is in the query string itself:

SELECT * FROM `sym_sections` WHERE `name` = 'news2 AND `id` != ' . 2 . ' LIMIT 1

It seems like there is a single quote missing after news2.

Thanks Andrew and Nils.

I am definitely running 2.07, and that single quote after news2 does seem to be missing. I tried renaming a different section, got the same error, and noticed the same missing quote.

Do either of you (or anyone else) know how I could go about fixing this? Seems like it’s a MySQL error rather than a Symphony error.

My host is NearlyFreeSpeech, and they run PHP in safe mode, which caused some difficulties when I was installing Symphony. Could that also be the source of this error?

they run PHP in safe mode, which caused some difficulties when I was installing Symphony. Could that also be the source of this error

I don’t believe so; I think safe mode is fairly common in shared hosting.

Seems like it’s a MySQL error rather than a Symphony error.

Unfortunately, to me it looks as if Symphony is generating a broken MySQL query.

Assuming you need to preserve the Section for its content (precluding just re-creating it), I would change the name directly in phpMyAdmin or otherwise directly in the database (backing it up beforehand, of course). This is not a fix to the source of the error, but should get you where you want to be. I think you’ll want to look in the sym_sections table.

Anyone know of a reason this fix would not work?

I think this bug has been fixed in 2.0.8RC1.

Good find, Nils. But, strange: This commit is included in 2.0.7.

@nstolpe:

I am definitely running 2.07

Can you check if this commit is included in your installation?

Thanks for the replies and solutions. Unfortunately, I messed up my my install and had to start over again. I had all my data backed up though, so it’s not too big a deal. Since reinstalling Symphony though, the error hasn’t recurred. Which is a small upside to having to start over.