Search

I’ve installed symphony on a half dozen different hosts, several times and it has always gone smoothly… until now.

This client is using Go Daddy and for the life of me I can’t figure out what is going wrong with the installation, after setting up the database, the installation seems to do nothing, manifest isn’t created or anything, I’m just greeted with a 404 error or “Could not locate Symphony configuration file. Please check manifest/config.php exists.” if I delete the install file.

Both workspace and the root directory have had change mode set to 777. I thought perhaps it could be an .htaccess issue, but would that prevent the files from being created?

Has anyone ever installed Symphony on Go Daddy before?

Hi Graham,

I’ve installed to GoDaddy before, but generally speaking I don’t recommend them. Since you say that the install.php does nothing, I assume you’ve gotten it to load the install form, meaning that your ftp and web service are pointing to the same place, and that php is running?

Yes all of that would be correct. Right now I feel it might be a permissions issue since the database is created but none of the files are. I’m thinking I might have to change the directory permissions through Go Daddy’s web interface and not by setting them via ftp.

I wish I wasn’t stuck with them as I’ve had nothing but bad experiences with them (using Symphony or anything else), but I got this gig after the client purchased the hosting so I’m stuck.

In the past I have moved many clients from “discount” hosts to serious ones (which were not even much more expensive most of the time). I convinced them talking about quality:

“I wouldn’t want people to know that I have built this website if it is running on Blabla-Hosting. People would think that it’s my fault, but it is not. In my experience Blabla is not providing stable, high-quality services, so it won’t match our expectations — neither yours nor mine. I am afraid that we have to make the move to …” (put a good host here)

It worked. :-)

You should try, at least. Think of it this way: If the host is not meeting your expectations, you will have more work during initial development, but even worse: maintenance and further development will be a hassle. And if your work is good, you don’t deserve to receive angry client calls just because the host doesn’t fit.

Even if the client is savvy enough understand that it isn’t your problem when the host fails them, there’s a good chance they will appreciate your input & experience in the hosting market.

Unfortunately, I think hosting subscriber inertia (which is the reason the hosts get away with such a lousy product to begin with) often wins out.

I think on godaddy I had the folders set at 757 or something other then 777 and it worked for me.

Thank you for the input everyone. I am definitely going to try and get them to switch hosts, I have gotten the ball rolling on that already.

In the mean time, I have had a small breakthrough and another setback. I did manage to get symphony to install, the issue was that for whatever reason you don’t seem to be allowed to set the changemode from ftp, I had to change it through their online control panel.

The new problem is now getting the .htaccess to work, which it isn’t. Evidently there is some gotcha to how you have to setup the rules based on their directory structure, still looking into this.

If anyone has the .htaccess file for a working Symphony install on GoDaddy, I would greatly appreciate seeing it.

I’ll keep this updated so other unfortunate souls with this predicament in the future will have some explanation as to what the heck is going on with this host.

Here’s mine. Other than the RewriteBase (I needed it in a subdirectory), I don’t think I modified it though. Is .htaccess functioning at all on your account, or is it just Symphony’s?

### Symphony 2.0.x ###

## EMAIL EXTENSION PEAR LIBRARY

Options +FollowSymlinks

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteBase /xxxxx/

### DO NOT APPLY RULES WHEN REQUESTING "favicon.ico"
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} favicon.ico [NC]
    RewriteRule .* - [S=14] 

### IMAGE RULES 
    RewriteRule ^image/(.+.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp))$ extensions/jit_image_manipulation/lib/image.php?param=$1 [L,NC]

### CHECK FOR TRAILING SLASH - Will ignore files
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/$
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ $1/ [L,R=301]

### ADMIN REWRITE
    RewriteRule ^symphony/?$ index.php?mode=administration&%{QUERY_STRING} [NC,L]
    #RewriteRule ^symphony/?$ symphony/index.php?mode=administration&%{QUERY_STRING} [NC,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^symphony(/(.*/?))?$ index.php?symphony-page=$1&mode=administration&%{QUERY_STRING}   [NC,L]
    #RewriteRule ^symphony(/(.*/?))?$ symphony/index.php?symphony-page=$1&mode=administration&%{QUERY_STRING} [NC,L]

### FRONTEND REWRITE - Will ignore files and folders
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule ^(.*/?)$ index.php?symphony-page=$1&%{QUERY_STRING}    [L]

</IfModule>
######

I just had to do this again, i had to install in a sub dir and then move the install to root after. no idea why, but not that big a deal

Hey guys, the solution to all your worries are here:

Follow the instructions the site provides, just, in the index.php page add the follow code right below the php tags...

ini_set('displayerrors', 0);

This works if you get a warning after you install symphony and as you login... (the cause being godaddy runs php 5.0 and throws a warning for some header function. )