Search

I am having some trouble here, working on a Apache VMWare VM. I figure out that ubuntu by default turned of .htaccess, so I fixed that. If I write some custom redirects, they work.

I am sure there is some logic to have the admin section at the same location as the folder “security?”. I tried changing the .htaccess rule to use “admin” instead of “symphony” but it ultimately redirects to a page using “symphony again”, even if I change both rules. I am using 2.0.7, just downloaded this morning.

I am sure there is one more switch to make here, it seems I just need to make sure that the rewrite rule gets activated before it serves the actual folder.

I am really excited to get cracking with symphony, but can’t get to the admin section.

Sever Info: Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) DAV/2 SVN/1.4.6 PHP/5.2.4-2ubuntu5.10 with Suhosin-Patch Server

I will eventually be running the site on a shared host, but want to get it working on my dev box first.

Any hints?

If there a specific reason for changing the /symphony/ to be accessed on /admin/? I’ve looked through log files before and found hack attempts from people adding /admin/ onto the end of domain names, looking for poorly-coded login systems to attack.

Your best bet will be getting .htaccess/mod_rewrite working as normal, and you won’t have any problems. Many URLs are hard-coded to use /symphony/ (especially in third party Extensions) since it’s considered a constant.

I don’t have a specific need to use another folder or redirect. Using symphony is just fine for me. The question is why the rewrite is not working or what setting needs to be changed in apache in order to activate the rewrite instead of the folder. I know mod_rewrite is working because when I hacked it to use admin, it would process that and redirect me to a sef path with symphony in it again (harcoded urls I assume).

So, anyone know why my apache is giving me a directory listing instead of doing the rewrite properly?

If you’re getting a directory listing, it means the root .htaccess isn’t working or isn’t there. What does your .htaccess file look like?

I had played with some other stuff and just got back to this after see in the post. At some point I remember having to change a setting because of .htaccess being ignored by another cms I was working with. I noticed I had copied .htaccess to the symphy directory itself, just deleted it and now I am in the backend. Let’s rack this up to a Apache misconfiguration. I just tried to remember my “googles” and I remember reading through this link, which may help others in the future: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingUseOfApacheHtaccessFiles