Search

I’m working from a cloned symphony-2 repo. It bugs me that when I switch from master to integration the version doesn’t change in System->Preferences. It appears that it doesn’t change because the config.php file doesn’t change. And the config.php file doesn’t change because it isn’t tracked by git (the manifest directory is ignored).

Is this the way it’s supposed to work or am I doing something wrong?

You’re missing a step - you need to run http://YOURHOST/update.php after you go to each new version. That will take care of the version numbers and any other database changes that need to happen.

That will take care of the version numbers and any other database changes that need to happen.

Are you saying that the version number is stored in the database? If it is I can’t find it.

I did run update.php initially but was unaware that I need to run it every time I switch branches.

Are you saying that the version number is stored in the database?

Nope. But between versions there are normally a handful of small changes to the DB.

Keep in mind that if you switch back to the stable release (2.0.7 at the time of writing) and you try to run update.php, it won’t work. It’s a one-way process.

Keep in mind that if you switch back to the stable release (2.0.7 at the time of writing) and you try to run update.php, it won’t work. It’s a one-way process.

does this apply to the different release candidates as well? So if I go from 2.0.8RC2 -> 2.0.8RC3, i can’t switch back to RC2?

It should be no problem to switch between RC1, RC2 and RC3 (back and forth) as there have been no database changes between these two versions (the last database related change has been between 2.0.6 and 2.0.7). Only the version number will not change back if you revert from RC3 to RC2.

From my experience there should be no need to switch back. My guess is that RC3 will be released as 2.0.8 final soon. It’s the most stable (pre-)release of Symphony 2 I have worked with so far.

It’s the most stable (pre-)release of Symphony 2 I have worked with so far.

@Nils: Warms me to hear you say this :)