Search

Likely many of you I want to edit my xslt pages and utilities via ftp in my texteditor. Same for css files. Since the current release doesn't have a css editor (or file manager) anymore, all files are created locally and uploaded, so owned by the domain and can be ftp-edited just fine. The xslt however are created by symphony itselve, and therefore belong to apache, so my ftp client doesnt has the permission to reupload or edit them. How should I solve this?

Refrain from making pages and utilities in the backend and upload them by hand? Or mess with ownerships and permissions (recurring) every time a new page is created?

The user that you upload as should be in the same user group as the http server, that way you'll be able to save and edit the same files. If you can't organize that consider writing a script to automatically fix any permission issues.

ofcourse, but the problem lies with files created by symphony, not the ones I upload. Hence I now don't use the backend to create pages, but upload them.

--

Ah yes, when I installed I had set tighter permissions. Php and security pfff...

newnomad, when Symphony is being executed by the HTTP server it runs as the same user and group as that server. As long as you've set your file permissions to 775 (this is what Symphony uses by default) it should work fine.

I believe I did 755/644 dir/files install, how can i check it? (besides ftp, but that has been changed here and there) its not in the install log. When I create a new page its file is 755, but owned by apache, not the user named as my domain all the other dirs belong to.

That would be the problem then, 755 permissions don't grant write permissions to the group so if you change the settings inside manifest/config.php so that files are written with 775 permissions then you should be able to avoid the problem in future.