Search

Book Oven founder Hugh McGuire post on O’Reilly TOC :

?An Open, Webby, Book-Publishing Platform?— WordPress as Book Publishing Platform

I really think it’s a good idea.

Since the output format, the catalog format, all XML-related. I’m curious if Symphony CMS focus on this area, the advantages of using XSLT conversion techonlogy, is a good choice or not?

Basic concept is writing online, output multi-format, build online catalog, and generate books metadata for OPDS or ONIX compliant.

What do you think? Compare to WordPress, it’s easer or harder?

In order to really take command of WordPress and modify it’s output you need loads of plugins or to hack the core. WordPress is built for one purpose and to get it to do any other purpose takes a lot of finessing.

Symphony has none of those problems. In fact, I’d say that’s one of the many areas where it really shines. You have 100% control over every aspect of the markup.

That’s the reason I’m leaving the Wordpress community in favor of Symphony. My site is currently a mess of hacks and plugins with Wordpress. So difficult to keep on top of!

It’d make for an interesting ensemble project.

yeah, take it a notch further and mix in xml based OS inkscape for illustrations in your book…