Search

My colleague Jim has just asked if Symphony comes as an easy install stack like LAMPP or XAMPP, for idiots like himself (his words not mine!)

It got me thinking to how easy it would be to do that. Anybody else think it’s a good idea?? Apparently Ruby on Rails does this very effectively.

Obviously it would only apply to systems that don’t already have LAMPP or XAMPP installed, but would be great for complete noobs who want a good website.

A nice self-contained system stack sounds good, though it’ll be another thing the core team will have to spend time to support. I think given the stuff we’ve got going, it’ll probably not be a feasible reality. We are however looking at a one-click install of a Symphony hosting webspace, so it’ll essentially do the same thing, except it’ll be online and not on a local instance.

Cool can’t wait to see it!

I may have a play with a stack idea, see how feasible it is ;)

how about an entire virtualbox image?

What about a full AMP stack, built into a custom disk image, instantiated on a dynamically-generated physical server rack that appears magically in your bedroom and is maintained by your very own Symphony team, cloned on-the-fly using our new JIT Genetic Manipulation extension?!?!

Hehe, sorry, it’s Saturday ;)

What about a full AMP stack, built into a custom disk image, instantiated on a dynamically-generated physical server rack that appears magically in your bedroom and is maintained by your very own Symphony team, cloned on-the-fly using our new JIT Genetic Manipulation extension?!?!

Yes, that’s about exactly what I’m looking for. How much would that cost?

I think such a stack would be necessary if your software was running on a very special server(-configuration). This is not the case. 90% of all hosts should support Symphony and you shouldn’t maintain a production server if you have no idea what you’re doing.

And if you want to develop for Symphony you should be able to install XAMP on your local machine (or have somebody who can show you how to do that). It’s not that hard.

And if you want to develop for Symphony you should be able to install XAMP on your local machine (or have somebody who can show you how to do that). It’s not that hard.

I found Wamp works better with symphony. xamp gave me errors every now and then, while wamp really works fine!

I found Wamp works better with symphony

I’ve got XAMPP working perfectly with Symphony at work, just the default install too.

And if you want to develop for Symphony you should be able to install XAMP on your local machine

Completely disagree, I don’t mean a stack for a production server, I mean development. And I don’t know all the ins and outs of Apache and stacks, so does that mean I’m not allowed to be a developer?

For someone who just wants to get into it quickly, it might an idea…

After all, it’s just a suggestion…

Completely disagree, I don’t mean a stack for a production server, I mean development. And I don’t know all the ins and outs of Apache and stacks, so does that mean I’m not allowed to be a developer?

They come in a working configuration and every time I had to install it it was a case of download, unzip, run.

I kind of agree with phoque, I usually see a custom stack package / virtualbox, etc. when the app requires tomcat or other special config.

If I’m trying Symphony out & I haven’t installed it into a local stack that has the same config as my production server, then I’ll need to reinstall Symphony into it anyway to verify that it will work on production.

Anything that makes it more convenient to try out Symphony is great, and I have not had the problems that others apparently have getting a local web server to run Symphony, so that may very well make it worthwhile.

Another idea I’ve had is creating a Plesk app package or other similar distribution bundles. I think that might also make it extremely convenient for new users.

This could become more relevant if we figure out a way to setup a custom server environment using an XSLT2-capable processor.