Search

Just a minor request - could the font family be changed from this:

font-family: FreeSans, Helvetica, Calibri, Arial, sans-serif;

to this:

font-family: Helvetica, FreeSans, Calibri, Arial, sans-serif;

It’s just that I’ve somehow managed to install a copy of freesans on my Mac, and unfortunately it looks like garbage. See:

alt text

This is what it should look like:

alt text

View full comparison

It’s not listed in font book or anywhere else I can find, so I can’t remove it. Only Safari picks it up. I imagine it was installed along with macports, or in a package installed by it.

That rule is in there just for me, actually ;) I’m on Linux and Freesans displays so much nicer than Helvetica for me. Will see what I can do.

hah - I thought that might be the reason. Don’t worry about it then; I don’t think there’s much we can do :P

I’ll look at trying to get Safari to apply some custom stylesheets or something.

That rule is in there just for me

We’re at least in two :)

And two is enough. We now have enough Linux users. Yay!

I do not know if this would work, but it might, so I am throwing it out there for your consideration. From what I have heard, Mac screens are generally set to 72 dots per inch while PCs are generally set to 96. With the use of CSS3 media queries, you can apply different typography rules to 72 DPI screens than you would apply to 96 DPI screens. As such, you should be able to do something like this:

@media screen {
    body {
        /* font-family for Windows and GNU/Linux
           font-size for Windows and GNU/Linux */
    }
}

@media screen and (resolution: 72dpi) {
    body {
        /* font-family for Mac OS
           font-size for Mac OS */
    }
}

I hope this helps.

Only Safari picks it up.

I never had this problem using Safari 4 and 5 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

It’s just that I’ve somehow managed to install a copy of freesans on my Mac, and unfortunately it looks like garbage.

Edit: Ops… You are on a Mac, sorry!

Perhaps I’m wrong, but it could be a problem of hinting and subpixel rendering. Sometimes, patched versions of cairo and freetype2 may enhance font smoothing. If you are on Ubuntu or ArchLinux, it shouldn’t be difficult to download and install them.