Search

Hello,

I'm currently searching for a new CMS for my company and this far I really like what I see in Symphony. I'm really impressed by the new features planned for the final version 2.0 as outlined in the presentation video. As some of these features are really important for projetcs I plan to implement, I'd like to know if there's some kind of schedule for development. In some other thread it was said that RC1 should be released by the end of the summer (for northern hemisphere) and looking outside my window I would definitely claim that the summer is gone ;-) So thanks for any update on this!

Regards, Thomas

Hi Thomas :)

We recommend against planning based on future Symphony updates, since we have a very undisciplined release schedule. I really wish this was different, but there isn't anything we can do about this right now.

RC1 is nearly a full overhaul of 2.0beta-rev5 (I think there's something seriously broken with our version numbering), and it's these kind of updates that are the most unpredictable. On top of that, we ended up taking on some quite demanding side projects in the last 6 months, which caused further delays.

FWIW, we're confident enough with RC1's design that we think it can serve us for a long time without the need for more fundamental changes, so updates from then on should trickle steadily. Additionally, we want to set up a system for patch contributors, so you're not just relying on a 3-person team to get improvements and bug fixes.

Hi Scott,

thanks for your answer, that gets me forward in my planning of projects. Another short question (though not directly related to the thread's initial topic): what version of Symphony do you recommend for use in production right now: the stable v1.7 or the 2.0beta?

Regards, Thomas

Thomas,

I know you're looking for an official line, but I'll just to throw in my 2 cents fwiw. I have used S2rev5 for every project I've done for months, and I have run into no stability issues. The only drawback as I see it are the different (sometimes limited) available extensions (I'm thinking specifically of wysiwyg editors, though tinymce is for the most part sufficient). Even that concern is pretty diminished now, and overall I would say the benefits of 2rev5 far outweigh any of those concerns.

If you were already extremely comfortable with 1.7, then perhaps learning 2rev5's foibles would not be worth it since some of them will be gone in RC1. Conversely, if you are new to Symphony, you may as well use S2.

Speaking of foibles, if you choose to go with S2 I would strongly suggest using the newly released Select Box Link extension instead of 2rev5's original Section Links.

I concur :-)