Search

Hello,

I’m just barely getting into git, but I have existing projects built with Symphony..

I know I can git init my directories, but then git has no idea that I actually have a clone of the official repository, right? Is there a way to do this, or am I kind of out of luck now since I waited?

Thanks ahead of time.

You can do it, I never have (I’m not the git expert). You might start here. Please let us know how it goes any way!

On a tangentially related note, I got to meet Chris Wanstrath, the Github Cofounder/CEO last week; really cool guy. Turns out we went to the same high school, at about the same time. Anyway, definitely reinforced my interest in Git as The Way To Go for vc.

If it helps, I’m using Gitbox on my Mac to work with Github.

• I fork a project on Github (or create a new repo)
  • clone the repo git clone git@github.com:nickdunn/entry_versioning.git into a folder on my machine
  • open that newly cloned directory in Gitbox and go from there

So you are planning to include the official Symphony 2 repository? In many cases, you may only need to put the workspace under version control, as long as you can document the extensions required.

I tend to use a workflow where I clone the official symphony-2 repository then add extensions and, sometimes, the workspace as submodules.

Because the workspace is ignored by the core repository, even if the workspace is not a submodule, there is such as strict separation between changes to the core and the customizations done in the workspace directory that updating from one core point release to another with git is just a matter of a git pull from the symphony-2 repo.

So, I would just clone the official repo, then add your existing projects either as submodules or by changing the .gitignore file to include the workspace.

Thanks for that link, @ashooner. I’ll look into those two options closer and see if that’s what I’m going for.

So you are planning to include the official Symphony 2 repository?

Well, I could easily be in the wrong mindset (I don’t fully grasp git yet), but in order for me to upgrade these projects from say 2.0.6/7 to 2.0.8 via git pull, doesn’t git need to know that the official repository is symphony-2? Same thing for making sure the extensions are up-to-date?

Perhaps adding the workspace as a submodule is exactly what I’m looking to do, and I’m just not thinking of git correctly.