Search

I’m installing Symphony on a NearlyFreeSpeech hosting account and I am able to get through installation.

However, once I try to go to the Symphony back-end, this message is displayed:

Error

Could not locate Symphony configuration file. Please check manifest/config.php exists.

If I open the manifest directory, nothing appears.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the installation wasn’t able to give the manifest directory adequate permissions to create its contents. It should contain a config.php file, as well as logs, cache and tmp folders.

I don't know if you're still having this issue or using NearlyFreeSpeech, but if you are (or if anyone else is running into this issue) I just got around the same problem by changing some permissions and group memberships. I posted this as a review for NFS, but figure it might be useful here too.

I've successfully gotten two ensemble installations (just different versions of the same site) to work on NFS. I'd first set it up over a year ago, but forgot all the steps I had to take to get it working.

PHP's Safe Mode is enabled, so you have to change the permissions and groups of some files and directories. Files that will write to folders need to belong to the web group, and directories that will be written to need to be group writeable. To get through installation then, install.php needs to be a member of web and the directory you're installing into will need to be group writeable.

You'll also want to add index.php and, if you're using the JIT extension, extensions/jitimagemanipulation/extension.driver.php to web in order to get the site working and JIT images to display in the browser. I assume I might run into some other files, I'll update this if I do, but if you run into any other problems, NFS has information here and here about how to deal with safe mode.