Search

There are few things in my mind concerning the further development process:

• We should stop talking about the last 2.x version. We just don’t know.
  • The main focus for feature development should be Symphony 3.
  • Symphony 2 needs to be consolidated.

I guess the next major release — Symphony 3 — will take quite some until it is ready. In the meantime Symphony 2.x is the stable release we all should work with, for client work and extension development. That said, we need documentation:

• Of the code, that more people are able to develop extensions.
  • Of the system, so that people can easily adopt Symphony’s concepts.

We need coding guidelines and examples. This will help making Symphony 2 a solid base for Symphony 3 as most of the developed standards can be applied to it as well. That’s why we have working groups. But we should not project all our 3.0 wishes on 2.2. We should try to finish up the 2.x branch and get creative in the 3.x area.

When Symphony 2 is stable and well documented we can fully focus an 3.0 as there is a fully functional version available for real life use.

I had a look at class.lang.php earlier today. Maybe we should restructure and rework this file (it’s a homegrown jungle) and add the aforementioned date localisation function there. Anyone who would like to tackle this task with me?

By the way, shouldn’t class.lang.php be moved from lib/toolkit to lib/core?

Have we got any ideas as to when 2.2 will be ready?

I know when I want it to be ready, but not when it will be ;) Hopefully not too much longer.

Heheh, I know the feeling…

Cheers Craig…

Can we suggest other things we want in this release?

For example, negative regex

Can we suggest other things we want in this release?

Definitely, please do, this will be the last chance for new features until 2.x is frozen (aside from maintenance releases) and attention moves to 3.x development.

For example, negative regex

Noted :)

Would it be possible to split the components section out into lists like the extensions page, and all the publish pages?

Any ideas when 2.2 will be ready? I’m in need of the frontend membership extension and would rather wait than try implementing it now into 2.1.2.

Thank you all for the hard work!

Cheers

There is no official release date I’m aware of, but the Core Working Group is working hard on fixing the Members extensions which needs an improved e-mail system. Maybe Michael and Huib can give you more details on that.

The new Core Email API should be working in a few days from now. But I don’t exactly know when Members will be ready. Brendan is working on this.

But Symphony 2.2 and the Members extension will need thorough testing before being officially released. So my guess would be that it will be ready “in December”. My advice is to wait (if possible).

A quick request:

Can we sort the semantics of language out on the datasource filtering ranges. I’ve just been looking at Filtering a range, and ‘earlier than, later than’ for numbers that aren’t dates just doesn’t feel right with me. My brain would assume ‘less than, greater than’ for numbers.

Can we add that to ranges too, so that both versions of the wording do the same thing?

@michael-e, not sure if this is the right terminology, but which mail client is the core email api going to be using?

There will be two core gateways: Symphony’s default sendmail and SMTP. There will be other gateways available as extensions (Swiftmailer etc.).

cool, thanks for the update Nils. just wondering b/c of my recent php build woes and my host compiling PHP as CGI and not as an apache module which does not allow php_value to be declared in the .htaccess file.

Do they not give you access to a php.ini file? There should be one…

@designermonkey, yes i have access to a php.ini file. The smtp extension alistair wrote injects the php_value into the .htaccess file which threw the error on my site. what would I need to add to the php.ini file to get smtp to work?

If you look for a line like the following

include_path=/usr/share/pear:.

and add the line from the htaccess like so

include_path=/path/to/your/symphony/install/extensions/smtp_email_library/lib/pear:/usr/share/pear:.

The /usr/share/pear path will depend on your install. The colon (:) is a path seperator, and the dot (.) is the current path, so you just stick it all together in the php.ini

Once that’s done, delete the line from your htaccess. If it still doesn’t work, you may have other issues too.

Perhaps 2.2 can also get some added basics for the backend CMS like “select all rows”, “select all rows (even what’s not on this page), “Search thru rows” ?