Search

So, how does one move from 1.7 to 2.0?

You can't. those versions are not compatible with each other.

So, I have to copy and paste my posts? What about my workspace?

I don't think it's as simple as that. The structure of workspace assets (pages and utilities) is different between 1.7 and 2.0 (from what I gather, although I've not used 1.7). There is no straightforward upgrade route to 2.0 without significant tweaking of your XSLT as well.

One of the biggest differences in terms of template files between the two versions is that s2 uses conventional xslt importing of files that connect each other rather than just doing a mashup of all your utilities like 1.7 does. I thought that there was a script that you could run to convert those files, but I'm not sure. It's really just making each template file a standalone xsl file in itself.

That is one of the several (or many?) major differences between the two.

Another question to ask (it's one I'm asking!) is: if the site is working as desired under 1.7, what might be a good reason for moving to 2.0? In my own case, there are zero upgrades/enhancements/tweaks/alterations being considered. I reckon it's a safe bet to stick with 1.7!

I agree. I have built more than a dozen websites running smoothly on Symphony 1.7. As long as the team will care for security updates (just in case), there will be very few reasons to upgrade.

One possible reason might be the absence of the "Select Box Link" field in S 1.7. Using the standard Select Box field, relations between entries are thin wires, and they will break when entries are renamed. But even this will not move any of my clients away from Symphony. They all love Symphony 1.7 for being fast, robust and flexible.

Symphony 1.7 is still a very good system and plenty of websites still run it without any issues. Unless there is a particular feature that cannot be done without upgrading to 2.0, it makes good sense to keep it running under 1.7.

Allen, do you have any plans on how long you will maintain 1.7 (meaning bug fixes and security fixes)?

We won't be updating the code for bug fixes but will be for security fixes.

This is fine for me. Thank you, Allen.