Search

Hi all. I’ve successfully installed symphony 2.1.1 onto my server, using the .ZIP package. I am running a fresh version of the standard spectrum workspace right now.

I am having permission troubles, which I have read into here and they seem pretty common. I am on a shared IP so can’t run SSH commands myself but have had my host run some for me that I have found around here: http://getsymphony.com/discuss/thread/39476/ http://getsymphony.com/discuss/thread/43011/

The page creates itself in the admin panel and comes up under Blueprints > Pages but if I try and edit the template it just refreshes the page. The Page isn’t created unless II have /pages/workspace/ under 777. The exact error I receive is this..

XSLTProcessor::importStylesheet(): I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/willjb/public_html/workspace/pages/newpage.xsl"
XSLTProcessor::importStylesheet(): compilation error: file /home/willjb/public_html/ line 3 element import
XSLTProcessor::importStylesheet(): xsl:import : unable to load /home/willjb/public_html/workspace/pages/newpage.xsl
XSLTProcessor::transformToXml(): No stylesheet associated to this object

I’m guessing the standard error for a broken link.

Any ideas? Maybe even any extensions or anything that could patch this for me?

• Will

Oh I get the error when trying to access the page from my homepage. Not in the admin panel.

I also forgot to tag the links. 1st 2nd

I’ve had this, I think… Has the xsl template been created in the pages folder? I had the wrong permissions on the pages folder once which meant the physical file wasn’t being created, and couldn’t figure it out why I was getting xslt errors on the front end.

no it doesn’t physically create the .xsl files unless I have permissions set to 777. Just shows up in the navigation and admin panel as if it does exist. I have tried it under 755 and 775 receiving the same error.

When under 777 though it does function perfectly normally. Which is bearable, for the launch phase of my site, just something which will eventually become tiresome.

Reading your thread it sounds pretty much exactly the same. You say ‘had’ the problem.. past tense. Has it been resolved?

Yeah, I have the option of running under FastCGI instead of the Safe Moded Apache module. My host runs the shared environment under safe mode for security reasons, but lets us run local CGI also.

When it happened on my local environment, I had to chown the files and folders to the same user that my PHP scripts were running under. It was easier on local as I could see what they were easily (apache:apache).

On a shared host with safemode, apache will create folders using apache:apache, but PHP will run under your-username:your-group. You’ll have to get the folders chowned to your-username:your-group by your host for it to all work properly. That way, 755 will work as expected.

Ask them to perform a recursive chown of your entire doc root folder (the one that is http accessible) as follows

chown -R user:group .

replacing the user:group correctly. Unless you can do it yourself. So, just to clarify:

1. Look at the owner:group of any php file
  2. Look at the owner:group of any folder that has been automatically created while in safemode
  3. If they are different, chown as described above.

Hope all of this helps?!

Ok.

My host has given me SSH access to sort this out. Either for my excessive hassling or for being a good customer for many years ;)

But anyway… I am going to go ahead with this now.

Just want to clear up.. What is the the name of the group I will be changing this to? I know this may vary but do I make this group..? This is all brand new to me. User should be cPanel login? Well it seems to be the only user.

and also.. is it normal for manifest (and everything under it) to not permit changes? .htaccess also and my install-log.txt.

Also I’m not afraid to reinstall or anything. Many thanks !

You will need to ask the host what group your user runs under, this varies from host to host.

Good luck!

PS, sorry, missed a bit… Your owner permissions need to be 755 on all files and folders. As Symphony runs as the PHP user (which will be your user) it will have write access to the files and folders it needs to under 755, and sometimes the config.php file gets written to, as does .htaccess It all depends on the extensions you use.