Search

Hi,

This feels like a really nube-ish question but I’ve looked everywhere and can’t seem to find an answer!

So i’m just trying to follow the instructions in the main Symphony installation tutorial for using Git to install Symphony on my server.

I have SSH access to my server and can log in and do stuff (including running the Curl command to install a .zip).

I have Git installed on my Mac and it’s working (ie when I’m in a local directory on my computer I can run Git commands no problems).

I’ve also set up SSH keys as some forum suggested that and they are there in the .ssh folder.

BUT if I SSH into my server (webfaction) and then cd into my /webapps folder - when I try and run any Git commands (eg clone to grab Symphony) it just says -bash: git: command not found

So could someone tell me what I’m doing wrong and how to fix it? I’d love to be able to use Git as it seems to have loads of advantages over a standard install.

Thanks and sorry if this is really really obvious.

Is Git definitely installed on your server? I’d ask your host if it is enabled, as it sounds like it may not be.

@timchesney: The reason it’s not working is because you need git installed on the server as well. I’m not sure if webfaction offer that, but they should. Otherwise you can develop using git locally and then just deploy your apps using rsync or FTP.

Hey Thanks, So looking through Webfacation’s documentation they support Git but all I can find about it is this page which looks (to my novice eye) like it is for creating my own Git server set up…

Would installing Git as per the page above make it so that Git commands would work with all my WebApps? Or would I need to somehow create a symphony folder inside the Git Webapp?

Thanks again for the help.

Update: I installed Git as one of my ‘Webapps’ in webfaction and turns out (even though it doesn’t seem to be documented everywhere) that this makes Git available globally for my account.

So now I can run git commands in any folder! Which means the installer works.

Basically with webfaction you essentially have install your own Git ‘app’ even though it’s shared hosting.

Cheers for the help!

Hey Tim,

There is actually a brand-new article in the docs about using git with symphony. Have a look if you have any further questions.

I also use webfaction and I installed git in my local home folder (one level up from webapps.) I think this is a little safer, but you’re probably fine as-is.

Hey thanks - that Git Guide is golly gosh great (so many G’s). Well, until about half way down when I glazed over… Will have to return to it when i’ve mastered the first half.

I see that was written by you Jonas (I’m still hopefully waiting for number three in your tutorial series!).

So far have installed Symphony and a bunch of Extensions with Git - So I’m pretty happy as it’s much much better than FTP and updates will now be far easier.

I read up about installing Git in the home folder vs installing in a webapps folder and essentially decided to go with web apps because a) I wasn’t all that sure what the advantage was of the home folder and b) Installing in webapps was a one click with a Webfaction installer… where as installing in the home folder looked hard for someone who had no idea what they were doing.

Still I’m getting there - thanks for the help and tips.

Ah, I didn’t know there was a one-click installer for Git as a webapp, that’s pretty nifty! I just hacked it out the old-fashioned way.

I am still going to finish the part 3, it’s just been tabled for a while as I’m working on the Symphony official docs more substantially now. Part 3 is going to come with a downloadable ensemble, hopefully it will be worth the super long wait :)