Search

8 Fantastic Lightweight CMSes You Should Try

Symphony made the list! :-)

Yeah, not sure I agree with the description. Symphony isn’t exactly lightweight because it’s so powerful. It is, however, lightweight in the sense that it doesn’t take much to get a basic site going.

The other thing is they say it’s more for advanced users… Well, setting up yes but once it’s up you can be borderline computer illiterate and it’s no problem.

Not sure how it made it onto that list. Symphony is not lightweight at all. Large amount of files and large amount of database queries. Its not exactly simple to start a site for new users.

All the benefits outweigh the drawbacks though. :)

I was wondering the same thing. I cannot see how you could compare Symphony to Cushy, Perch etc. Wolf and GetSimple sit somewhere in the middle but from that list Symphony seems by far the most ‘heavy-weight’.

For a ‘simple’ CMS I would probably go with Wolf (experience) and not Symphony. For everything else Symphony ftw…

The key phrase there, to me, is “gets the job done without the bloat.” I think that fits Symphony pretty well.

“Lightweight” also often refers to actual physical size. Not sure what system Ecko’s been using (:P) but Symphony’s file size is indeed pretty small:

• GetSimple: 1.1mb
  • Symphony: 750kb
  • Wolf: 742kb

Consider how much more Symphony can do than Wolf and the fact that it’s only 8kb larger is pretty impressive.

Now, none of this is to say that I think Symphony is “simple.” But then again, many of the systems that are called “simple” these days are anything but.

Wow, I simply assumed Symphony’s filesize was bigger. I never realized it’s that small (stoopurd me). In that case I agree: it’s lightweight and very powerful at the same time!

Minus non bundled extensions of course ;)

Consider how much more Symphony can do than Wolf and the fact that it’s only 8kb larger is pretty impressive.

Still staggers me. It’s awesome!