Search

What workflow/setup do we use to study rss-feeds?

First importing them as external DS and then debug? I preferred looking at the sourcecode in Firefox 1.5. Unfortunately all modern browsers have build in readers. I havent tried hacking firefox 3 yet to switch of the reader... It seesm there are no extensions for firefox? Silly IE7 does support it.

I tried settign the default safari reader to be testxslt, that would rock, but doesn't work.

I downloaded the old 1.5 version of firefox and now i can paste feed urls in it (with http:// instead of feed:// ) to read source, not perfect but....

You can see the source in Firefox 2 and 3 using "view source" on an RSS page! I am not sure if you need the Web Devoloper Toolbar extension for this (but you will need it anyway...).

doh! thanks Michael-e. Indeed contrary to Safari, which shows the source of the styled feed page being displayed, not the feed itselve, Firefox does show the raw feed. (without WBT too) Still i must say it is quite convenient to use FF1.0 beacuse then I can have many tabs with the raw xml to compare.

Tabs? No problem if you have the Web Developer Toolbar installed in FF 3! Go to the toolbar's Options -> Options... and activate "View Source in a tab instead of a window...". That's it!

My way? In Terminal/Unix Shell, type:

curl http://site.com/rss.xml | mate

You are a funny man, Allen!

Maybe we should mention this only works if you are actually using TextMate...

Allen, along those lines, wouldn't it be possible to set textmate (or any other processor) as the dafault app to view feeds in your systems preferences? So if clikc or paste an url feed in safari, hit enter, and...boom; tetxmat ewindoe open with rss?