Search

Hey everyone, I'm trying to work on my site locally (like you should) however I can never seem to load anything but the home page, here is an example: If I load http://localhost/~tukaiz/stephen-korecky/ it runs the home page just fine, however if I want to go to my about page i.e. http://localhost/~tukaiz/stephen-korecky/about or (/about/) it does not load the pages and I just my page not found.

Am I just calling up the page wrong? My config file is set for that directory and mod_rewrite is on in my httpd.conf file so not sure what else it could be. Any help would be very appreciated!

p.s. I'm on a Mac

I had a similar problem with my localhost setup. For some reason rewrite wasn't working correctly at first. What's your environment? Did you use MAMP? MacPorts?

I'm on leopard so I run Apache (With web sharing in system preferences) and PHP with the built in versions, and I downloaded MySQL. But I could try MAMP or MacPorts if you recommend it.

Well I'm not a Mac expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but here's what happened to me:

I installed MAMP, and ended up with a problem very similar to yours. Though everything was installed and enabled, my rewrites just weren't working. So I uninstalled MAMP, uninstalled the default OS X version of Apache, and turned off web sharing. Then I installed the whole stack via MacPorts and now everything works perfectly.

huh, not sure if I can take such a big step since I have a lot going on this apache, but if all else fails I will try this, thanks for your help though!

I followed the steps in http://blog.jameshiggs.com/2007/12/25/getting-wordpress-mod_rewrite-and-leopard-to-work-together/ and this got htaccess to work, however now I need to figure out the .htaccess files since now all I get are 403 error pages.

Here is my htaccess code, if someone finds something wrong, could you please help me out?

### Symphony 2.0 - Do not edit ###

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
RewriteBase /~tukaiz/stephen-korecky/

### DO NOT APPLY RULES WHEN REQUESTING "favicon.ico"
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} favicon.ico [NC]
RewriteRule .* - [S=14] 

### IMAGE RULES 
RewriteRule ^image\/3\/([0-9]+)\/([0-9]+)\/([1-9])\/([a-fA-f0-9]{3,6})(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /symphony/image.php?param=3:$1:$2:$3:$4:$6:$7.$8 [L]
RewriteRule ^image\/2\/([0-9]+)\/([0-9]+)\/([1-9])(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /symphony/image.php?param=2:$1:$2:$3:0:$5:$6.$7 [L]
RewriteRule ^image\/1\/([0-9]+)\/([0-9]+)(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /symphony/image.php?param=1:$1:$2:0:0:$4:$5.$6 [L]
RewriteRule ^image(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /symphony/image.php?param=0:0:0:0:0:$2:$3.$4 [L]

### CHECK FOR TRAILING SLASH - Will ignore files
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !(.*)/$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /$1/ [L,R=301]

### MAIN REWRITE - This will ignore directories
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule ^(.*)\/$ /stephen-korecky/index.php?page=$1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

</IfModule>

DirectoryIndex index.php
IndexIgnore *

######

I think Leopard turns off mod_rewrite in apache by default. You might have to update your httpd.conf file to allow it. Look for AllowOverride.

That said, I strongly suggest you use MAMP when developing on localhost. It's much easier to manage than the pre-installed packages. I've tried both, and I favor the standalone app.

well mod_rewrite is not "off" per say, however you need to fix your user conf file like so:

<Directory "/Users/USERNAMEHERE/Sites">
Options Indexes MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

Then htaccess / mod_rewrite will work. Which it is on my machine, however the problem is configuring the htaccess for localhost use.

I have to use my installed version of Apache because 1. It's easier for me not to have to worry about apache running all the time, 2. I work with Ruby on Rails and I use Passenger which relies on my Apache setup.

I found by adding:

Options +FollowSymLinks

to my htaccess, I can now load the home page with htaccess enabled, however I still can't load my sub-directory pages. Anyone have any ideas?

It looks like you tried to modify the .htaccess manually. Try a fresh install in this directory, then copy the .htaccess file. You'll probably want something like this:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
        RewriteEngine on
        RewriteBase /~tukaiz/stephen-korecky/

RewriteRule .* - [S=14] 

### IMAGE RULES 
        RewriteRule ^image\/3\/([0-9]+)\/([0-9]+)\/([1-9])\/([a-fA-f0-9]{3,6})(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /~tukaiz/stephen-korecky/symphony/image.php?param=3:$1:$2:$3:$4:$6:$7.$8 [L]
        RewriteRule ^image\/2\/([0-9]+)\/([0-9]+)\/([1-9])(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /~tukaiz/stephen-korecky/symphony/image.php?param=2:$1:$2:$3:0:$5:$6.$7 [L]
        RewriteRule ^image\/1\/([0-9]+)\/([0-9]+)(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /~tukaiz/stephen-korecky/symphony/image.php?param=1:$1:$2:0:0:$4:$5.$6 [L]
        RewriteRule ^image(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /~tukaiz/stephen-korecky/symphony/image.php?param=0:0:0:0:0:$2:$3.$4 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/~tukaiz/stephen-korecky$
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /~tukaiz/stephen-korecky/$1/ [L,R=301]

RewriteRule ^(.*)\/$ /~tukaiz/stephen-korecky/index.php?page=$1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

</IfModule>

DirectoryIndex index.php
    IndexIgnore *

######

@bauhouse Perfect! Thank you! you I just had to add the

Options +FollowSymLinks

Now everything works just fine! Thanks everyone for your input and help!

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  Options +FollowSymLinks
  RewriteEngine on
  RewriteBase /~stephen/stephen-korecky/

RewriteRule .* - [S=14] 

### IMAGE RULES 
  RewriteRule ^image\/3\/([0-9]+)\/([0-9]+)\/([1-9])\/([a-fA-f0-9]{3,6})(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /~stephen/stephen-korecky/symphony/image.php?param=3:$1:$2:$3:$4:$6:$7.$8 [L]
  RewriteRule ^image\/2\/([0-9]+)\/([0-9]+)\/([1-9])(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /~stephen/stephen-korecky/symphony/image.php?param=2:$1:$2:$3:0:$5:$6.$7 [L]
  RewriteRule ^image\/1\/([0-9]+)\/([0-9]+)(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /~stephen/stephen-korecky/symphony/image.php?param=1:$1:$2:0:0:$4:$5.$6 [L]
  RewriteRule ^image(\/(0|1))?\/(.+)\.(jpg|gif|jpeg|png|bmp)$ /~stephen/stephen-korecky/symphony/image.php?param=0:0:0:0:0:$2:$3.$4 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/~stephen/stephen-korecky$
  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /~stephen/stephen-korecky/$1/ [L,R=301]

RewriteRule ^(.*)\/$ /~stephen/stephen-korecky/index.php?page=$1&%{QUERY_STRING} [L]

</IfModule>

DirectoryIndex index.php
 IndexIgnore *

######