Search

Has anyone already made an ensemble available with the default symphony install modified to offer a html5boilerplate?
Like a stripped down version of this?

Extended with this extension to fix the doctype. And maybe even pimped up with better mobile support, maybe optional less frame work and touch gallery to finetune css and js for mobile?….

I assume the html5 master stylesheet we currently have up (and one on github too) is outdated, or anyway an full ensemble would make more sense….

You could do it ;)

@newnomad,

i see you've discovered my pet project! it was intended to be a simple marrying of symphony and html5boilerplate but turned into a bit of a monster. a mobile stylesheet is something i've been intending to put in but just haven't gotten around to it.

if others are interested, i'd be more than happy to fork a pared-down version without all the extensions and bring in some of the suggestions you've made (like the doctype extension). i've been looking for a good project for this weekend.

after looking into it further, i think i'd rather keep working on the ensemble that i already have. i personally don't feel it's bloated, since each component is something that i use in nearly every site i deploy. i would, however, love to get feedback, ideas, or even contributions on how to make it more up-to-date and usable for others.

to satisfy my curiosity and perhaps guide me in a direction that will achieve my goals of usability for fellow symphonians, which features do you feel aren't necessary?

I am workign on it, but got halted by this problem

@ fawx

While it is convenient that your ensemble has html5boilerplate baked in. I am trying to go for a more modular approach where html5boilerplat is included as submodule, so that when the html5boilerplate repo updates I can pull it in.

Now ofcourse the master template needs to be hand coded, but I can use brian's. It seems you haven't used his and duplicated his templating work by hand?

But now I am looking for some advice of how to organise directories. Obviously I can't just drop the entire html5boilerplate directory into the workspace, some needs to go into root (modrewrite) and ofcourse the mastertemplate needs to be in utilities.

What is a best got approach for that? can I work with aliases? I would like to keep the whole contained. Also I would like to keep the documentation and unminified stuff in, only on deploy just deploy only that is needed.

Or is it no problem of parts of a framework are spread all over directories, and can they then still be updated by git? Theoretically I could use a bunch of submodules for parts of one repo... but that sounds overly complex....

One way to tackle it might be:

• 1 submodule that places https://github.com/bzerangue/html5-boilerplate in workspace
  • 1 submodule that places https://github.com/bzerangue/html5-boilerplate/tree/master/xsl inside utilities

Another way .... maybe the only proper way, is to do this with an extension?...
A simple JS library can be easily added as a submodule because it is contained in one directory (and you still have to call it in the masterfile ofcourse)
But a framework residing in different places is best put there by an extension, which by itself can be maintained on git...

And a remaining question: can we safely merge and use the html5boilerplate htaccess with the symphony-one. Prior to 2.2 extensions needed to write rules in the htaccess, but this isn't necessary with git?

While it is convenient that your ensemble has html5boilerplate baked in. I am trying to go for a more modular approach where html5boilerplat is included as submodule, so that when the html5boilerplate repo updates I can pull it in.

since i'm pretty new to git, i haven't really come up with a solution for this, but it is absolutely something i've been tossing around in my head. i'd really like to find a way to include html5boilerplate as a submodule so, like you say, it can be pulled in any time there is an update. i'd love to hear from some git experts about this.

Now ofcourse the master template needs to be hand coded, but I can use brian's. It seems you haven't used his and duplicated his templating work by hand?

essentially, yes. before i realized there were people already working on html5 solutions for symphony, i simply pulled in a copy of html5boilerplate and made the suitable xhtml/xsl adjustments.

And a remaining question: can we safely merge and use the html5boilerplate htaccess with the symphony-one. Prior to 2.2 extensions needed to write rules in the htaccess, but this isn't necessary with git?

on this, i'm not sure. i opted not to use the html5boilerplate .htaccess for of this reason. i wonder if perhaps there is a way to take advantage of apache's per-directory htaccess rules, but since symphony uses modrewrite for everything, there technically are no other directories. however, a great deal of the rules in html5boilerplate's htaccess are regarding mime types and serving up media, so it would at least serve some purpose if it were just dropped in /workspace. apache is not really my strong suit, so again, i'd love to hear an expert's opinion on this.

Maybe we should open a new post kindly asking the pro's for a feature complete boilerplate extension.... or let them correct us it's not needed when we use submodules...