Search

I've just about finished a rebuild of a site with (the brilliant) S2.2 and had hoped to upload it to a subfolder on the production server to check it's all running ok. The current site at the root is a S2.0.7 site.

Having uploaded the new site to a subfolder, updated the database credentials and .htaccess file (as has worked prior), I'm getting nothing but a blank page. No error page, no code, nothing. I tried another dummy index.php file in the folder and it displayed fine.

I'm a bit stumped but guess this could perhaps be caused by something in the root site's .htaccess file...?

Does anyone have any experience with this or ideas about what could be causing it?

have you tried moving the .htaccess file up one level in the folder structure?

I just tried temporarily removing the root site's .htaccess but still getting a blank page from the site in the subfolder.

Maybe this isn't an .htaccess issue? Will try re-upping the new site and check if I've absent-mindedly screwed something up.

But running two Symphony installs like this is possible isn't it? Never tried before...

it should be possible. I've done it on my server before (up until i reorg'ed yesterday). what does your .htaccess file look like?

Well I'm a big stinky liar. I have done this quite a few times before without encountering any issues.

Nick, I know you're a bit fed up with repeating that suggestion so thanks. Tried adding that php error directive to no effect.

Then tried an ensemble export and put that up in the same subfolder. The install page came up fine but the process died once redirected to the index.php without touching the database or folder structure. White page again.

Have it working fine now in the same setup on a different server. The only difference I can discern between the two is that the 'white screen of death' S2.2 install is in a subfolder of a S2.0.7 site, while the working one is in a subfolder of a S2.1.1 site.

But then there's all the mystical voodoo of the individual server setups. Working one is Litespeed/Linux with PHP 5.2.16, broken one is Apache/FreeBSD with PHP 5.2.0 but I really know nothing about that except for the names.

Does S2.2 require PHP higher than 5.2.0 by any chance?

ah, i think it's at 5.3 now

Nope, officially the requirement is still PHP 5.2. In the integration branch (i.e. development version) of Symphony there have been some functions from PHP 5.3, but the team has provided fallbacks for these.

The consensus is not to require PHP 5.3 on the short run, because 5.2 is still the standard on many shared hosts and Debian server installations alike.

ah ok, thanks for the clarification, michael.

Thanks indeed for the info Dale and Michael. Was freaking out there for a second.

Will see if the problems persist once I upload the new site to the server root...