Search

Hi,

I've been watching/using Symphony for a couple of years now, but I'm only just now using it for a real project, as such.

So far, all my work has been developing the XHTML templates for the site, which are all checked in to a Subversion repository. I'd like to now continue this version control as I start working on the XSLT utilities and templates that will make up the Symphony site. Is there an easy way to do this?

I know I can probably use the Ensemble extension to do something like this, but it seems cumbersome, and the fact that everything is stored in the workspace folder bodes well for a file-based solution... Is there a quick, easy method to do what I'm after?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Calrion.

I seem to remember one of the Symphony team saying that they manage Symphony sites in SVN, with the exception of the manifest/config.php (which is specific to the server location, so not synced). Parallel to that, they sync their database using Navicat.

I would suggest putting as much of the Symphony install in the repo as you can, rather than just the /workspace , b/c you never know when you'll want to add an extension, mess with the .htaccess, or anything else.

Hope that helps.

I'd look into using Git, now that Symphony has officially switched over. You can create your own fork of the official release on Github, and then use that. Then you've not only got distributed version control, but the possibility of more easily keeping up with Symphony updates and whatnot...

Thanks guys. I did put the whole install in the repository (figured on the extensions, etc.) but haven't looked at Git.

I don't THINK I'm interested in syncing the database, as the sections will remain static, and I don't need (or want) the production content cluttering the dev environment.

Of course, if I was interested in syncing the database, what I'd really like is to do everything with .sql files the way Dave Thomas recommends in "Agile Web Development with Ruby on Rails". But that'd be another post for another day...

Meanwhile, I think I've answered the crux of my question myself: if I update a file in /workspace, Symphony will automatically figure this out and react accordingly, as if I had updated the file from within the Symphony UI.