Search

A new XSLT utility, "Members Forms" is now available for download. Comments and feedback can be left here but if you discover any issues, please post it on the GitHub issue tracker.

Link is broken :(

Michael was deciding on whether to call it Member Forms or Members Forms. He decided on the plural version: https://github.com/michael-e/members-forms

Thanks for putting all this together.

But I quite don't get it (yet). Shouldn't its functionality be provided by the members extension "out-of-the-box"?

...still a bit confused.

Shouldn't its functionality be provided by the members extension "out-of-the-box"?

Nope. Since Symphony doesn't output any markup at all (which is a good thing), you as a developer are responsible for your (X)HTML (or whatever). This is where the XSLT Utilities help.

Ok, so this is thought of as a 1+1 package which makes life easier for us.

The XSLT could be created any number of ways. Michael has just been very generous to make his available and plug-and-play!

Also there's no way for an extension to bundle utilities. Unless copying of files takes place, which isn't ideal.

These utilities are my way of easing Members integration. I wanted this for the project I am working on at the moment, and I developed it in parallel with implementing and testing the Members extension. You could write all the XLST yourself, but you will spend a lot of time doing all the analysis and testing which I did.

In short words: Yes, I think that Members Forms will give you a much quicker start.

Hells yes! This is a great head start for anyone implementing the Members extension. Well done, and thank you Michael. Can't wait for Members to reach a stable release so I can try this :-)

Also there's no way for an extension to bundle utilities. Unless copying of files takes place, which isn't ideal.

That's not exactly true. Just put your XSL templates in an utilities folder inside your extension (Date and Time does that for example). You just have to link to it from your workspace templates, no copying needed.

Cool, Nils, I did not know that Symphony auto-detects utilities as well!

Nevertheless I think that we should not bundle these utilities with Members (simply because it's pure frontend stuff).

Cool, Nils, I did not know that Symphony auto-detects utilities as well!

It doesn't. But normally I add my utilities manually in my templates and it doesn't matter which folder they are in.

Ah, OK, I see. So it's just "who cares where they actually are...".

Yes :)

And it's a simple way to distribute an utility across installs.

Don't forget that the Members Forms is supposed to be customised as its just a starting point (extra form fields, changing the configuration etc), so it doesn't make sense to keep it in an extension folder, which might be pulled in as a git submodule from the original repo. It makes more sense to keep it in the project's workspace, so it can be version controlled along with the site pages.

It makes more sense to keep it in the project's workspace

Yep.

Thanks for the utilities Michael. I haven't checked out the member's extension yet, but this will help getting started!

What you've done is amazing, Michael.

I'm not only referring to the form utilities, but also to the Big Picture diagram on Members. It truly gives an understanding on how everything works.

Thank you for sharing it.

You are welcome, Ellie!

The reason for sharing this stuff is simple: I don't want everybody to have such a hard time (like I had) figuring these things out.