Search

Would't it be nice if we had a seperate category for well-considered extensions that the community think would greatly benefit symphony?

Things as:

• apache content negotiation (no url param needed for setting languages)
  • swiftmailer newsletter (the best independent, not framework based, php newsletter library)
  • shoppingcart (sessionmonster deluxe)
  • pdf output through php engine

How about we put them all in one topic and someone keeps the list up to date?

• Advanced search functionality
  • Image caching (create cached thumbnails)
  • Data source caching (only generate them on content update)

Image caching (create cached thumbnails)

As far as I know, Symphony is doing this by default.

I guess that data source caching would not help a lot, since the main performance bottleneck of Symphony 2 seems to be XML generation. So we'd better implement or improve page caching (I remember a simple cache-enabled index,php file by Alistair).

• Dynamic XML from an external datasource to be available in a field... like a dynamic select field that selects from your section data. It would be nice to be able to have an extension that pulls from the external dynamic xml that you set up.

As far as I know, Symphony is doing this by default.

I know that Symphony 1.7 caches thumbnails. The problem is that Symphony creates a new thumbnail every day/few hours?, so that every once in a while all images have to be reprocessed and the cache grows and grows (old images are not removed, and I do not know of a way to access the cached image name).

I guess that data source caching would not help a lot, since the main performance bottleneck of Symphony 2 seems to be XML generation.

By data source caching I mean caching the XML generated by the data source.

• metaweblog client posting + documentation/screencast