Search

Hi,

I've just downloaded and attempted an install of 2.2.3 and I'm getting a database error.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

James

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'DatabaseException' with message 'MySQL Error (1071): Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes in query "CREATE TABLE `sym_sections` ( `id` int(11) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, `name` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', `handle` varchar(255) NOT NULL, `sortorder` int(11) NOT NULL DEFAULT '0', `entry_order` varchar(7) DEFAULT NULL, `entry_order_direction` enum('asc','desc') DEFAULT 'asc', `hidden` enum('yes','no') NOT NULL DEFAULT 'no', `navigation_group` varchar(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'Content', PRIMARY KEY (`id`), UNIQUE KEY `handle` (`handle`) ) ENGINE=MyISAM"
in /Users/jamesmorrish/Sites/teststuff/symphony/lib/toolkit/class.mysql.php:718 Stack trace:
#0 /Users/jamesmorrish/Sites/teststuff/symphony/lib/toolkit/class.mysql.php(463): MySQL->__error()
#1 /Users/jamesmorrish/Sites/teststuff/symphony/lib/toolkit/include.install.php(143): MySQL->query('CREATE TABLE `t...')
#2 /Users/jamesmorrish/Sites/teststuff/symphony/lib/toolkit/include.install.ph in /Users/jamesmorrish/Sites/teststuff/symphony/lib/toolkit/class.mysql.php on line 718

Hmm, what version of MySQL do you have, and what charset/collation is your database created with? Make sure it's UTF8.

Hi Nick,

I'm creating the DB like this:

CREATE DATABASE database DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8mb4 COLLATE utf8mb4generalci;

And I'm using MySQL Server version: 5.5.9

I'm getting this error in Symphony 2.2.4 too!

Thanks, James

Ahh, recreated the database using this and it worked:

CREATE DATABASE database DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8generalci;

Thanks!

You generally don't want to be using utf8mb4. Unless you need to support a language that requires the extra byte, there is a noticeable degrade in DB performance for using it not to mention it taking up more physical space.