Search

Over the past couple of months I have been working on my first Symphony site, using XAMPP. It's just about ready to be unleashed onto the world.

I'm wondering if there are any articles that describe how to install symphony from one server (DEV) to another (LIVE).

Is it best to install a fresh copy of Symphony onto my live server, create an ensemble of my site and install that ensemble? Will this bring over all of the CMS data entered in the dev environment?

Any tips/pointers much appreciated!

Cheers,

D

Creating an ensemble is the simplest approach, not really deployment oriented though.

@bauhouse has written something about the extension which you may find interesting.

Thanks alpacaaa, would this bring over all of my DB data (all entered section data)?

Yes, it will.

In some cases it won't. Unfortunately the Ensemble creator only copies data of extensions it's aware of. You should rely on the CLI tool mysqldump, phpMyAdmin or the Symphony-extension dump_db to create a complete image of your database.

Is creating an ensemble the recommended way of doing this then? I have used a few extensions, not overly relied on them.

I wondered about using phpMyAdmin but was worried that it would be easy to mess up referential integrity between records. Before I go live i'll try moving to a staging environment to make sure go live is smooth.

If it's a fresh setup, simply duplicating the entire database should be fine.

Ensembles don't create a complete copy of the database. But I have updated the Export Ensemble extension to include all database tables except for a select few that contain data that you wouldn't want to share. So, I will sometimes deploy sites with an ensemble, then use phoque's Dump DB extension to sync Symphony authors.

However, phoque is right:

You should rely on the CLI tool mysqldump, phpMyAdmin or the Symphony-extension dump_db to create a complete image of your database.