Search

When I'm encountering errors, Failed to write Data source to /home/project/public_html/workspace/data-sources. Please check permissions. when doing some minor changes in browser, and all my folders are set to 0777 (according to mt ftp software), is it time to start bugging that dude that does the hosting?

Gr.

Which user owns the data source files?

To try to get round it, after backing up the data source file you could load up the data source editing page in Symphony, delete the data source file in your FTP client (if possible), and then re-save the data source from Symphony.

That might create a file that is owned by the webserver user, meaning Symphony would be able to overwrite as necessary from then on.

FYI: (this widely varies with hosting environments but…) I believe normally your directories should be set to 755 and files to 644 with 'you' as the 'owner' and the Apache 'group' (often 'www-data').

Hmm.. I didn't even realize files have permissions too. But even if I set those as well, I still don't have permission to save my data-sources. This www-data? Is that the name of the 'group'? Where can I check if I'm really the owner?

Kind of at a loss here, sorry.

-edit- So oowkay after doing some decent searching I just decided I would set all folders and foles to 0777 and now it lets me save. But I cant help but think this is in no way safe, and I'm still curious as to how to set users/owners/groups.

If you can find out what user your webserver runs as, you should be able to use file permissions of 644 if you set the files to the same user.

However, if you can't set the files to be owned the webserver user, you may need to make the files 666.

Only directories (and files that need to be executed) need to have 7.

So in brief, you'll probably/maybe/might/could need:

• 755 for directories
  • 777 for directories that Symphony needs to save files in, such as user uploads
  • 644 for files
  • 666 for files that Symphony needs to overwrite, such as data sources

If you can find out what user your webserver runs as..

The hosting is done by some ICT company, so I should start bugging the server guy I guess.

Thanks for the insight, I will be making good use of this.

Hey,

Reviving this old question of mine. My pretty website that I've been slaving on keeps getting hacked the last few days. This is no wonder because it's a irresistible target for anyone bent on being malicious. During development I set many folders and files to 777, and now some .js and .php files keep getting infected with code trying to open iframes.

I'm going to take some steps necessary: - change all my passwords and the ftp/cpanel password, and try to change the mysql username (though this does kill my website) - call the server dude and figure out who the webserver user and group is. - change the files to my user. - find a way to do chmod commands from windows.

Mind you, I'm very new to this all. So if any of you guys have some interesting links, software or tips for me, I'd really appreciate it.