Search

I just (duplicated a site locally and) upgraded a Symphony install from 2.1.1 to 2.2.5 and updates some extensions.

Most extensions work fine but I am getting Fatal PHP errors with Publish Filtering and Static Sections and I can't find anything on the forums or on Github. It seems a generic error (maybe due to Symphony 2.2.5).

Example:

PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function getChildren() on a non-object in /my/site/extensions/static_section/extension.driver.php on line 111

PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function appendChild() on a non-object in /my/site/extensions/publishfiltering/extension.driver.php on line 78

I realize these two extension are listed as unsure on the compatibility list, but maybe you have come acros this before and there is an easy fix (I remember coming across the non-object issue before but cannot find it).

My guess is that those extensions are tripping over each other. Both use exactly the same code to do something. Try disabling one and see if the issue persists.

Thanks @brendo. It actually occurs when I only enable one.

The error occurs when (at least) either editing or creating a section.

There might be a problem with another enabled extension but when I disable the two extension above the error occurs. Enable just one of them and the error occurs.

UPDATE @brendo I actually figured out your scaffolds extension was the issue because it adds a child element (import/export button) to the Section fieldsets. The 2 extensions in question tried accessing $column = $group[1]->getChildren(); but $group[1] is the scaffold element, not the extension fields.

Regarding this matter ... @brendo, what's the order of execution when more extensions subscribed to same delegate?

I was thinking to first enable Publish fitering and Static section and after that enable Scaffolds (they all subscribed to same delegate). This way, Scaffolds will do it's stuff latest and the DOM is there to edit.

Heh there you go. I guess technically the extensions should be doing error checks to prevent this sort of thing happening, but I'll have another look at how Scaffolds is added to the page to see if I can fix it myself.

Regarding this matter ... @brendo, what's the order of execution when more extensions subscribed to same delegate?

In the order they are returned by the database, which I think is the order that the extensions have been installed in. Thankfully we have been fairly fortunate that we don't have very many instances of extensions requiring to run in a certain order but it will be something that will have to be addressed in the future as more extensions are built.