Search

I've installed Symphony 2 latest stable as outlined in the readme file.

The installation went successfully in the sense that the install.php script told me that it's already installed after filling out the configuration form. I guess that's already a sign that something went somehow wrong.

What actually is a sign is, that I can't go over the first page.

The first page displays properly, I get some news info.

http://192.168.2.106/symphony/

"A PRIMER TO SYMPHONY 2'S DEFAULT THEME"

and such is written in the browser.

However, if I click the headline of that link, my browser tells me that there is an endless redirect. The last URL of the redirect is:

http://192.168.2.106/symphony/install.php/install.php/index.php/?symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=install.php/install.php/index.php/&symphony-page=articles/a-primer-to-symphony-2s-default-theme/

As one can reveal, there is a pattern that it adds over and over the parameters and so on. Any idea why this is happening? I'll try to remote debug it as well to find out more, it's just that I'm totally pink with this CMS and hope someone in this nice community can give me some pointers.

After starting with remote debugging, it looks like that the problem solved itself. One thing I did change (which probably solved the issue, but not directly) was to change the .htaccess

RewriteBase /symphony/

that was. It was

RewriteBase /symphony/index.php/

after the install.

My last edit was too fast ;). Even though pages broadly work now, there still is a glitch with the following:

http://192.168.2.106/symphony/install.php

Naturally the file install.php is deleted.

This will trigger the endless redirect, what I can see in the remote debugger, symphony2 is creating that redirect.

Looking closer shows that up to that the exception handler is invoked with a FrontendPageNotFoundException, no redirect location header are given.

I find it easier/cleaner to set up a vhost for each project than to bring subdirectories into the equation. It avoids that kind of htaccess issue.

I think I might have called the install script wrong, like so:

http://192.168.2.106/symphony/install.php/install.php

for a reason I don't know. At least the generated .htaccess file makes me believe so. After fixing the .htaccess file (and learning that google chrome already prefetched the subpages and using another browser) it looks like that things now work.

It does not seem a problem to have Symphony in a subdirectory. Actually it would look bad in my eyes if it wouldn't work in a subdirectory.

the cause of your problem may be that you're trying to operate the framework in a subdirectory called 'symphony'. if you look closer at .htaccess, you'll see there's already a rule for rewriting requests for symphony/ which handles admin access.

try a different subdirectory name and use it in your RewriteBase.

It shouldn't matter what the subdir folder is called, so long as the RewriteBase exactly reflects that folder path from the server's DOCUMENT_ROOT

So, if the server's DOCUMENT_ROOT is www, and Symphony is at www/symphony the RewriteBase needs to be /symphony/

If the installer has run and completed, just ensure that your RewriteBase correctly matches the subdirectory folder, and everything will work (from Symphony's perspective). If it doesn't, then there's a mis-configutration in Apache, or the Symphony download is broken. also, if you have an .htaccess file at the DOCUMENT_ROOT processing redirects, this can also break the Symphony install, and will need to be diagnosed and repaired correctly, which I can help with.

@designermonkey: Yes, fixing the RewriteBase did solve my issue. I guess my initial problem was to call the install script which then did mess the generated file. I don't have the problem any longer since I fixed the .htaccess RewriteBase directive.

Using symphony as install directory is not a problem at all - like you wrote it.

Glad it's fixed.

One caveat was that Chromium did cache the (pre-fetched) redirects. So changing the .htaccess file did not work directly within Chromium. Switching the browser did solve the problem then.