Search

Having tried a few things for my web side design I realized that the cleanest solution to the problem would be a field that could return dynamic xml based on the URL link. Sort of attaching a dynamic xml data source to a field. There are cases when you have a few entries in your section, and based on the entries you need to return dynamic xml based on some third party API. Let's say you have a list of ids in your section. There is a link out there that returns person's info based on the id (test.com/?get-info=id). What do you do? Create dynamic data source based on "test.com/?get-info=id" and attach it to the new "dynamic xml" filed. Or paste "test.com/?get-info=id" into the field so in your xslt you'll deal with a XML blob describing the person. Do we already have something like that (I couldn't find it in field extensions)?

Thank you,

I think you can already do that. Use a dynamic datasource and in the url use parameters like you do in other datasources. so insted of test.com/?get-info=id you would write test.com/?get-info={$ds-id}

Not sure if you've tried it but I believe it should work.

It does work, indeed. You can use Data Source parameters or page parameters in your URL.

No, it doesn't work. I tried it and I had to modify the grab function to work the way I need. The solution you propose will return multiple ids for one request. If for example your section has 3 entries text1, text2 and text3 you'll get a the dynamic datasource url like that: test.com/?get-info=text1,text2,text3. I described this behavior in my previous posts already. The final XML I need is a combination of xml1, xml2, xml3 where xml(i)=test.com/?get-info=text(i).

Modifying the grab function in that respect would make most sense. I don't think its very common issue. Most of the time everyone would have his own requirements, so modifying the grab would increase efficiency.