Search

After rewriting my basic workspace every single time I started a new project (albeit with updates for updates for things like the HTML5 Boilerplate, jQuery, and such), I got bored writing the same stuff over and over so I decided to spend a little time and write one that I can reuse, and figured it'd probably be useful for others as well.

https://github.com/thebestsophist/workspace

Although I forked off of the main Symphony workspace, this is a raw workspace with no pages, events, or data-sources.

The readme file has more information on the features but here is a rundown of the main ones:

• Based on HTML5 Boilerplate v 3.0.6
  • An improved typographic modular scale using rem
  • Uses Compass/SASS to generate CSS
  • H5BP's styles have been majorly altered to make media queries easy and intuitive to write using Compass's @media bubbling
  • Includes 2 basic grids for semi-responsive layouts
  • js/script.js includes an example for using JIT image manipulation for quick and dirty responsive images
  • Replacement page.xsl for symphony/template

I made this mostly for my own use, so I've kept in a lot of things that others might not use (such as pulling jQuery UI and the Web Font Loader from Google), but I figured enough other folk probably use them that I might as well keep them in.

master.sxl is largely based on DavidOliver's master stylesheet (http://getsymphony.com/discuss/thread/70970/, but with updates from the newest H5bp as well as a number of my own changes. (Fair warning: I haven't fully tested it with all the browsers, so be careful.)

Very interesting! I spent a lot of yesterday trying to figure out what will be my standard approach to styling (I'm also using Compass), and although I'm taking a different approach to media queries and responsive images than you I think there's a lot I can learn/nab from your setup. Thanks for sharing.