Search

Hello,

I want to upgrade to 2.3 I have now 2.2.x installed with the zip package.

Can this be done without loosing my text and layout. If so, what's the best way to do this ?

Roelof

Edit 1 : I found a problem for upgrading to 2.3. I now use Search Index and that one is not working. And Elastic Search cannot be working because I don't have Java on my shared hosting.

@roelof: it is important to check if the extensions that you are using are compatible with the version you intend to upgrade to. Most extensions are contributed by the community and it will take some time before they will all be available for a new version of Symphony, especially in case of a major release that breaks backwards-compatibility (like 2.3).

You can see the list of all extensions that are ready for Symphony 2.3 at the awesom extensions website Nick created for us: http://www.symphonyextensions.com/extensions/?keywords=&type=&compatible-with=2.3.0&sort=updated&order=desc

I haved looked there and so I know I have a search problem. The only extension that can work is Elastic Search is that one cannot work on my shared hosting because there is no Java installed. So the only thing I can image is make a search solution manually but that will be very hard and difficult work

To answer your initial questions:

Can this be done without loosing my text and layout.

Yes.

If so, what's the best way to do this ?

Based on the type of questions you're asking here, I wouldn't recommend you to use Git at all.

Just download the 2.3 zip package and overwrite the files and folders from your old site with those from the new zip package (except your manifest and workspace folders).

The solution to your search problem is actually pretty simple:

If you totally need search and the only search extension available that's working in your hosting environment hasn't been updated to work with Symphony 2.3 yet, don't update your site to Symphony 2.3.

Symphony 2.2.5 is a stable system and there's nothing wrong with it, so if your site's running fine on 2.2.5, keep it running.

Alternative solutions:

1. Create your own search extension or help updating the existing one (if you're a developer).
  2. Use another system that fits your needs better.

Hello Jens,

Thanks for the answers. Im now looking at Bauhouse Forum ensemble how he does the search with a custom DS. I hope I can find out how it works and how I can expand it to multiple sections. Otherwise I have to stick with a old version or look to another system.

Why don't you stick with 2.2.5 and use the Search Index extension? The Search Index extension works and supports searching across multiple sections, Nick has just moved onto the ElasticSearch extension as he doesn't have time to maintain both.

I can, but I think I will be ever at 2.2.5